• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice on 4.0

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 99 ranger XLT a few weeks ago and love it, everything runs good as it should. 78K miles, 5 speed with the 4.0 in it. Ran some fuel cleaner through it as well as engine restore in the oil change last weekend. Everything runs great, and after i have my bed cover, i wanna start digging into it. Before i lift it and all that stuff id like to get the motor running real good. I hear the jib jab about the homemade ram air intake and that stuff, i know better. Im more into efficieny rather then raw HP, and after having a look over the engine, the exaust seems to be lacking. Please, I would like some info as this is my first truck ever. I have alot of experience with mustangs so any modification wont be a problem. Thanks in advance!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Only thing exhaust is going to do really is change sound. The stock intake on the 4.0 flows more than enough air. The real concern on any engine is heads. You can only move so much air through a naturally aspirated engine(volumetric capacity). It's the atmospheric pressure that moves the air into the engine, and it's the TB, Intake manifolds, and heads that limit anything, but then again, an engine can only hold a certain amount of air in each cylinder, so what that point of shoving air down there, when it wouldn't make a difference. The best way to gain performance is forced induction(supercharger or turbocharger). This compresses the air into the cylinder, and increases the pressure. This will yield power. Don't believe the false performance hype, they just want to make money(K&N). Most of the performance itmes that would work on the open(breathing) racing application Mustang 5.0 H.O.'s wouldn't work well. Unless you're into paying $300 for 3hp at 6,000 rpm. Just leave it stock. Maybe put a different exhaust on it if you want a different sound. Flowmaster 40's sound really good on rangers.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I completly agree. On the muffler note, I have flowmaster 50 series delta flows with turn downs after the muffler. I like the sound of it a lot!

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On the 4.0 OHV's, the heads are the biggest restriction to performance - especially the 98+ models with the smaller exhaust port. Headers do help and the earlier models do actually benefit from the addition of headers to aid scavenging, but you're not going to see the gains as much.

Unless your cats are plugged up, the pipes squashed or the muffler has collapsed into itself, you will see very little gain and mainly, the noise will increase with the addition of an aftermarket exhaust.

Bird

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
Alright, thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna be honest, heads arent in my budget range, at least in the short term. Knowing that ports are the main concern, headers would help a good deal. Headers are never on my fun list because i had experiences with numerous busted bolts, does this happen on ranger blocks? Could i have some advice on ignition upgrades or possible rear/front gearing? Thanks for the quick response guys, and thanks in advance for future advice!

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
My intention is not to go outragous, I would like just a strong, efficient motor, for future mild/moderate off roading

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well as long as it is running good, the 4.0 creates enough torque that with the proper gearing, you can crawl over quite a bit. if your worried about driveability you can put in a doubler to get a really low crawl ratio :)

-Keith

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
The stock DIS ignition is the highest performance system on that truck. It's so good there are no upgrades availible. Just leave it as is.

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
I believe the wires and plugs in the block are original, are they due for new wires and plugs? If so what plugs/wires should i look into? Thanks again guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals