• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

advantages of off roading electric vehicles

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Instant torque should excell at things like low speed rock climbing.

Careful there, it's invading GA too. We've got once city that, IIRC, has more golfs cart that autos. Peachtree City was designed around golfcart usage.

I live down in Crawford County, the big city in this county, Roberta, barely brings in enough tax money to keep the light on. Well the whole county is about like that. Anyway, Roberta got the bright idea a couple of years ago to a put a proposal on the ballot that would have provided for creation of a network of golfcart trails similar to what Peechtree City has. Included was not just building the trails, but also taking private property behind people's houses to basically build said trails in their back yard. For some reason even though I'm well outside city limits in tyhe county I can vote on their proposals and stuff. Normally I won't vote on any that don't affect me, and this wouldn't, but I had to vote NO on that one.

I'm not against allowing use of golf carts in town, but there's not reason they can't just use the roads like they already have been. The couple of "main" roads are large/wide enough for passing around a golf cart, and the rest have low enough posted speeds that a golf cart isn't a hinderance. Require head lights, brake light, blinkers, and pretty much the same safety equipment as a moped or scooter, and let them use the road.
Yeah, I was thinking of Peachtree City. It's had cart usage for many years, and is popular with people living there I've heard. But it was planned that way, I think.

I'm not sure that trying to mix carts and cars on the same lanes is a good idea. There's too many stupid people driving, and in any kind of collision the smaller cart (and occupants) will lose.

I think it'd be better if a cart infrastructure was incentivized into new-construction subdivisions (they're still building a lot of them in my neck of the woods), and as part of renewal projects in older built-up areas. They're always changing and rebuilding stuff anyway.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
No im being serious..
I guess it depends on the EV design. The ones with direct-drive motors would require designing and fabbing the suspension components to move the whole drive motor and wheel assembly away from the chassis, while allowing for the articulation that's needed. And the same, for any non-driven wheels on the vehicle, and the steering would have to be reengineered.

I would bet that aftermarket lift companies are already looking at, say something like the EV F-150, to offer lifting options. They know that it's coming, too.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
someone leveled their f150 lightning

2.3” leveling kit from Stage3Motorsports
Method MR703 17x8.5 +0 offset
BFgoodrich AT Ko2 285/75R17

1681337409871.png

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I assume the lighting is 2wd?

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Other benefits could be a power source while camping.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How do you lift an EV?
I donm;t know about all of them, but for some you just push a button.

The Rivian and Hummer EVs both have a djustable suspensions that raises and lowers the vehicle. That was also supposed to be a feature of the Tesla Cybertruck.

I'm not sure that trying to mix carts and cars on the same lanes is a good idea. There's too many stupid people driving, and in any kind of collision the smaller cart (and occupants) will lose.
It's already being done in this town. That whole move was a cash grab by the local city. They were trying to justify using imminint domain to sieze property to build the new trails, then hike taxes to pay for it. Then like most other proposals it would be done half-assed by the highest bidder, and be used to collect more tax revenue in the form of registration that was never used for upkeep of the trails. It's like a record stuck on repeat around here, both city and county. Fortunately it's still cheap to live in the area and not overpopulated, makes it easier to ignore the stupid stuff they try to do.

They also weren't considering that the local income levels likely wouldn't support wide spread adoption of golf cart usage by residents. This isn't a golfing community. The golf carts you do find around here are mostly clapped out retired models from the (not very) local golf courses and Air Force base.

They're grasping at straws trying to pull new business and life into the area. They are putting their efforts into the wrong place. They want to invest all this money into novelties to attract people, and they can't even get a grocery store to come into town, the nearest one is a 20-30 minute drive. They should be trying to draw in business and industry. They are on a couple of major highways in the area. Cheaper to operate out here and stillgood access to major roads and stuff, but they can't or won't compete with the incentives offered by the bigger cities.

Seems like the older you get, the faster that shit happens . . .
Well these days thst type of stuff is often available even before a vehicle hits the showroom floor. Part of that whole SEMA thing I think. Industry partners, IE: lift manufacturers, get examples of the vehicles to do R&D on almost as soon as the first one rolls off the assembly line.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Other benefits could be a power source while camping.
I could see the draw of not needing a generator to power stuff around camp. I'll admit that I've become spoiled by having an AC. I will not camp in a tent during GA summers when it's 80-90 degrees in the middle of the night and high humidity. I say summer, but its closer to 2/3s of the year.

So can either have have the quiet heat that I can't sleep in, or AC running with a generator humming that keeps me awake. Be nice not having the generator, until I wake up the next morning and figure out I depleted the battery to the point I can't make it back to a charging station.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I assume the lighting is 2wd?
Oh, no. They are all all wheel drive. Faster than a Mach-E also. Crazy fast for how heavy they are...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
EV's are repaired all the time, just like any other car.

Of course - if there's actual damage to the battery and it's smoking/on fire, everybody's going to back away and give it space to burn itself out. And that may leave the vehicle totalled.
Not really, they are not necessarily built like a normal car. The battery of a Tesla is a structural part of the car that is glued into the unibody. Replacement runs $20k-$50k. Damaging that will greatly effect the future of a vehicle. Non Tesla vehicles vary in construction and serviceability of course, with a Ford so far individual battery modules are designed to be replaceable.

BUT with the liability being HUGE if a damaged battery cooks off later (like that Tesla last summer 3 weeks after its accident) and it burns down a bodyshop or somebody's home... junking a new/low mile car can look pretty cheap.

It is very interesting and with the prez's new crackdown on EV mileage it will probably only get more interesting as they try to cut weight/structure to get more miles out of them to keep that fleet average as high as the can.

Instant torque should excell at things like low speed rock climbing.
My SCX10 RC crawler has been very enlightening for that, amazing torque. My son has a G-Wagon power wheels type car. My little SCX10 can push it fairly easily.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Not really, they are not necessarily built like a normal car. The battery of a Tesla is a structural part of the car that is glued into the unibody. Replacement runs $20k-$50k. Damaging that will greatly effect the future of a vehicle. Non Tesla vehicles vary in construction and serviceability of course, with a Ford so far individual battery modules are designed to be replaceable.

BUT with the liability being HUGE if a damaged battery cooks off later (like that Tesla last summer 3 weeks after its accident) and it burns down a bodyshop or somebody's home... junking a new/low mile car can look pretty cheap.

It is very interesting and with the prez's new crackdown on EV mileage it will probably only get more interesting as they try to cut weight/structure to get more miles out of them to keep that fleet average as high as the can.

My SCX10 RC crawler has been very enlightening for that, amazing torque. My son has a G-Wagon power wheels type car. My little SCX10 can push it fairly easily.

What scx10 do you have? I had an OG honcho back in the day.. thinking about getting a new deadbolt.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

For sure there are examples of individual models with unusual designs. That's not new to EV's, but the concerns can certainly be more significant. Ultimately it will be up to the repair shops to determine their willingness to train in/certify/repair them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For sure there are examples of individual models with unusual designs. That's not new to EV's, but the concerns can certainly be more significant. Ultimately it will be up to the repair shops to determine their willingness to train in/certify/repair them.
And oems to release data and programming on how to inspect/test them.

Since they are big and heavy and you gotta have them anyway, for a weight cutting standpoint teslas idea about using the battery pack is a clever way to go about it.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What scx10 do you have? I had an OG honcho back in the day.. thinking about getting a new deadbolt.
Deadbolt SCX10 II. Snagged it on sale right before the III'S came out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals