• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Add a Leaf's

mdmarble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm putting 3" spindles on my truck, and for the back I'm not sure what I want to do. Should I put in 1.5" blocks or 1.5" add a leaf? I've been wanting to put in an add a leaf, mainly because when I need the extra loud capacity, I have it. Every now and then I have a trailer I need to tow around and I'm a little squaty, even when I've got about 200lbs of sand bags in the back I'm a little squatty. I've figured I'd give up the ride to be able to have the extra capcity when I need it. I was told from a guy at 4wheel parts that an add a leaf for a small pick up like mine, a ranger, will be too much. It will be like a rock, and I'll be hopping around corners when my bed is empty. I've seen these "soft ride" add a leafs from Fabtech, 1.5" add a leafs. Does any one know about these add a leafs? What is the thing behind the "soft ride?" Is it really a soft ride, yet capable of taking more load? This sounds a little odd....

What do you guys thing, blocks or add a leafs? Any one with experience?

Thanks,
-Mike

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you're right. There is a tradeoff between ride and load capacity. Blocks offer the nicest ride, but can cause problems with "axle wrap." Add-a-leafs can knock your teeth out. But they are cheap and easily removed so you can just try them.

A third option, much more expensive, is lift springs.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If you're towing and/or have sand in the back an add-a-leaf is a good option. With stock weight it might be too stiff, and in offroad applications it would limit flex. I would avoid lift blocks, due to the increased axle wrap it'll cause. Another option is extended shackles. These will give you the exact ride you currently have. With shackles you don't want to go to long or they tend to break or bend, but for only 1.5" it should be fine.

And the soft ride that can handle more load does sound suspicious....maybe they found a way to thwart the laws of physics?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It is my understanding that Progressive Rate springs are what alot of soft rides are.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
If you're towing and/or have sand in the back an add-a-leaf is a good option. With stock weight it might be too stiff, and in offroad applications it would limit flex. I would avoid lift blocks, due to the increased axle wrap it'll cause. Another option is extended shackles. These will give you the exact ride you currently have. With shackles you don't want to go to long or they tend to break or bend, but for only 1.5" it should be fine.

And the soft ride that can handle more load does sound suspicious....maybe they found a way to thwart the laws of physics?
Shackles will soften the ride slightly actaully, at least if you run very long ones since they create more leverage on the spring. For 1.5" you'll only shackles that are about 3" longer than what you have now, and that's reasonable. I would do that, or either swap in a set of Explorer seats and take them apart/ add leafs to suit your desired height and ride.

mdmarble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Extended Shackles...?? Where can I get these? I've heard about some lowering shackles for a Chevy that would lift the rear of a ranger about 2".

Exactly how rough is the add a leaf option? I don't plan on doing any rock crawling, or anything with a lot of atriculation, its only 2WD.

I've heard about "axle wrap" with blocks, and it makes sense. Not only do blocks look a little weird to me, but it looks like a so cal, just for looks type of lift, which it probably is... How bad is axle wrap, and what is actually happening? What are the long term effects axle wrap, and under what kind of conditions does axle wrap become severe enough to break something; i.e. full throttle from a dead stop many times to create a lot of wear and tear?

Thanks
-Mike

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
Soft ride add a leafs are usually longer leafs that install in the middle or upper level of the spring pack. Most add a leafs are installed on the very bottom of the pack and have to be highly arched to arc the rest of the spring pack the needed amount. The soft rides being longer support the main leaf more equally and give a more progressive rate to the pack than the short, very stiff kits. I doubt you would ever have an axle wrap problem with 1 1/2" blocks specially on a 4 door. Many stock Rangers have 2" blocks from the factory. If your truck is like most RBVs the drop shackle for a Chevy is a good option but will give less than half the difference in length from a stock shackle since the axle mounts forward of center of the spring. I use 2 Suburban leaves cut to length to replace the bottom 2 ford leaves and 3" longer Chevy lowering shackles to get 3-4" lift on my BII. I previously used the 2" blocks with no problems but changed them out just to make sure.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
You can pick up a set up the Belltech 6400 Chevy drop shackles and they have 2 holes you can use. The bottom will give you about 2" max and the one next to it, should give you about 1/2" less. You can find them cheap online or for about $65 at local parts store.

mdmarble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay...

There all pretty cheap, and seem easy to install, so I could do them all. But for the first time around, what do you recommend?

Shackles, add a leaf, or blocks.

Keep in mind, I'll sacrafice my ride to be able to carry a bigger pay load, but I dont want to be like riding in an empty dump truck or an empty trailer hopping all over the place.

What should I do first time around, and why.

Thanks

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
With 3' spindles in the front and carrying a load in the back you're probably going to need a combination of any 2 of these mods. I personally would use the shackles last since they can cause the rearend to wander more when loaded or towing. With the extra weight a 4 door is carryiing I wouldn't be to concerned with it getting to stiff, RBVs are pretty soft anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals