• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Acceleration/power issue

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When my truck did as you're suggesting yours is, it was a bad fuel pump. Hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the fitting under the hood, and it was only showing a bit under 30 pounds. Should be 56 to 72 psi, at least for my 98, that's the desired range.

Zip ties? The throttle cable can become stretched over time. Take the cable off the lever on the throttle body. You'll see a track the cable runs in. Take two small zip ties, connect them together, and lay them in the track, connect them together on the back side of the lever. Reinstall cable over top of the zip ties. Now your throttle cable will be tighter.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
When my truck did as you're suggesting yours is, it was a bad fuel pump. Hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the fitting under the hood, and it was only showing a bit under 30 pounds. Should be 56 to 72 psi, at least for my 98, that's the desired range.

Zip ties? The throttle cable can become stretched over time. Take the cable off the lever on the throttle body. You'll see a track the cable runs in. Take two small zip ties, connect them together, and lay them in the track, connect them together on the back side of the lever. Reinstall cable over top of the zip ties. Now your throttle cable will be tighter.
Honestly, you don't have to remove anything to do the zip tie fix on the accelerator pedal, and the way you describe is NOT a recommended way to fix the issue. The zip ties are used on the interior end of the throttle cable.

DO NOT USE any zip ties on the engine end of the throttle cable. That could be a potential safety issue.

Putting the zip ties on the cable where it connects to the accelerator pedal is perfectly safe and it solves the problem easily and safely.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Been driving mine with the zip ties on the throttle body end since like 2002. Yeah, I replace them every couple years, when they start getting hard and might crack. I'm leaving it as is, never been an issue. YMMV

It's like those who insist "You shall not run 20W-50 motor oil in your 98 Ranger". Been doing it for 19 years and 162,000 miles. Never an issue. Not changing now. Oil cap said 10W-30. Any motor you can run 10W-30 in, you can run 20W-50 in. If I change it to colored water oil now, it'll likely disintegrate. LOL!!

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'd NEVER put anything on the engine end of the throttle cable due to safety. Besides, the right way of "fixing" it with zip ties is just as easy and is well documented to work perfectly. I've NEVER had to replace my zip ties either....

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea its waaay simpler and safer to just stick them on the slack at the gas pedal end...

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did the zip tie trick on mine due to a stretched cable and the throttle response was amazing. I think I added 3-4 cables. All I did was lift the pedal and add zip ties to the end of the cable until the pedal had hardly any slack when raising it with my foot. it's been 2+ years with the same zip ties. Easy fix with great results. I don't know what the other person is doing with zip ties but it did not sound right when I read it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals