• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

accel spark plugs

Chris102371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody ever put accel u groove spark plugs in a ranger with a stock 2.9l set up? I put some in mine a few days ago and it runs like crap now. I'm wondering if they are for like a MSD ign. set up.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why? Why?

Anybody ever put accel u groove spark plugs in a ranger with a stock 2.9l set up? I put some in mine a few days ago and it runs like crap now. I'm wondering if they are for like a MSD ign. set up.
Why? What are we thinking when we change from the stock plugs? What a plug does is make a spark when the engine NEEDS IT! The stock plug does it just fine.. ANY OTHER plug is silly! NO PLUG can do the correct spark any BETTER! Any difference would be WORSE never better! At best a different plug MIGHT be as good! But there can be NO PLUG that is better!
The stock plugs should last 100,000 miles or better... what more could we want?
Big Jim:hottubfun::wub:

jhammel85

Did you gap the new plugs? Chances are that they are gapped OK but you might want to double check.

Motorcraft / Autolites are the way to go btw, especially on a stock engine. You won't get much benifit from those running a stock ignition.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
double and triple check that the wires are going to the correct plugs.

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I've gotten bad spark plugs before. It isn't often, but it does happen. I once put a set of Autolite plugs in a '92 Explorer. It ran like crap. I verified everything else (wires, connections, plug gap, etc). It was the plugs. I replaced them with a different new set and it ran fine. I don't mean to imply that Autolite in particular is bad. I know that it isn't. It's just that sometimes spark plugs can be bad out of the box.

I'm running NGK now, as they're everywhere and cheap. They work fine. I don't put much value on the high dollar spark plugs either. Just get stock replacement, in whatever brand you like, and they'll work fine.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sometimes when installing new or used plugs they sometimes get damaged (cracked insulator) and will cause crapping performance. I found that out recently.

Chris102371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Everyone has good points on here. I got them because they were a good deal and I thought I would try them out. I have since figured out I have another issue and it may not be the plugs at all.

jhammel85

Good news! I'm glad they are working for you then.

What's the other issue? Maybe we can help with that?

Chris102371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The other problem is one that several other people on here seem to have. I can be driving down the road and Its like I hit a flat spot in the rpm range and I have to kick it down to start it pulling again. I'm going to check fuel press first then go from there.

jhammel85

Check the TPS 1st.

What you really should be worried about is doing a sweep test on the TPS. When you check the voltage, use a needle style tester during the sweep. Probe the black and (I think) Orange wires that connect to the TPS. You can back probe through the back of the connector. Turn the key on (engine off) and move the throttle blade linkage and look for a smooth increase of voltage. Hopefully you'll find a dead spot and call it a day!

See below link for more info.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=30

Chris102371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't checked anything yet. The weather has been cold and rainy. But that was one of the things I was going to check. May drive it to work tomorrow night and see what I can find. I will let you know.:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals