• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) about ready to give up and get rid of it

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
hello again everybody. let me start by saying thank you to everyone who has helped me on my journey on trying to fix my little blue truck. the stalling at idle issue has about done me in on keeping it. as per scttys90ranger advice on this issue in a another thread about it, i have got new coil packs, crank and cam sensors plus i also bought new plugs and wires for it just in case all of which should be here today. we have already replaced the throttle position sensor and the idle air control valve trying to take care of this issue. so if the parts coming today doesnt solve it i dont know what else to do. i cant keep throwing money at it. as it is i have more in new and replacement parts in it and for it (new brake lines, new battery, new inner and outer tie rods both sides, upper and lower ball joints both sides, replaced lower steering bar, two good replacement doors, drivers side front fender, grill, headlights, turn signals, a set of 16 inch jeeps rims and ford center caps for them to put on it and a almost new set of tires) then the truck is worth cuz i fell in love with my little blue step side truck as soon as i seen it and it ran and started so good, that i dont mind putting the money into its body or getting rid of the slop in its steering. id figured i could drive the money out of it for many many years to come plus thought i maybe take it to back to the bricks here in flint when i was done fixing it up. now this stalling/ idling has thrown me for a loop about it. please please please any advice on what to do, about this issue or should i give up if this dont cure the problem

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Well first off...youve come this far why give up now?

Secondly...what year is the truck?

Is the check engine on?

Have you pulled codes?

Does it run ok once its going and just stalls at idle?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
While getting discouraged is understandable, don't give up on it just yet.

Get the newest parts on it, and then see where you're at. And post up where you stand with it afterward.

It'd be a shame to give up right before you get it right. And with all that you've done to it so far, it sounds like it will basically be a new truck when you're done.

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Well first off...youve come this far why give up now?

Secondly...what year is the truck?

Is the check engine on?

Have you pulled codes?

Does it run ok once its going and just stalls at idle?
its a 1998 , no havent pulled any codes yet dont have a scanner, can drive it anywhere because of the stalling and not sure if its check engine is on or not. its whole dash broad if lite up like a Christmas tree, its stays running if you keep your foot on the gas but stalls as soon as you let it go to idle. havent drove it since pulling it into garage when it got this issue.

Last edited:

jjustjjosh

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" WULF suspension spindles, rear AAF
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
Like rusty and robbie said you've come so far already... don't give up yet. It could be something so simple as a vacuum line broke or leaking you just haven't found yet. So holdon take a breath and take it slow.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Wonder if you have an ECM issue

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Like rusty and robbie said you've come so far already... don't give up yet. It could be something so simple as a vacuum line broke or leaking you just haven't found yet. So holdon take a breath and take it slow.
While getting discouraged is understandable, don't give up on it just yet.

Get the newest parts on it, and then see where you're at. And post up where you stand with it afterward.

It'd be a shame to give up right before you get it right. And with all that you've done to it so far, it sounds like it will basically be a new truck when you're done.
thank you robbieD but discouraged isnt the word, heart broken is more like it. i just want to cry every time my son works on it and it still keeps stalling at idle. i keep saying come on baby you can do it to the truck. i know im such a girl about it but this truck is my baby and its betrayed me. i knew when i bought it needed alot of help front end and body wise but it started and ran so good i just dont understand how one day its running and idling fine trying to get it up the icey incline to get it in the garage giving it hell all the way but it got in there and still was fine sitting there idling to the next day after getting a new battery for it and putting it in to stalling at idle????????

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
that would be horrible if its that! any way to check it
It actually wouldn't quite be the end of the world. They're relatively affordable used and it's on the simpler side of things when it comes to changing it.

How they go bad is usually a capacitor will leak all its magic out.. and without that magic the motor won't run right. To check it you'd have to remove it from the truck, open it up, and take a good look at things. From every picture I've seen of a leaky capacitor on/in an ECU its pretty obvious.

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
It actually wouldn't quite be the end of the world. They're relatively affordable used and it's on the simpler side of things when it comes to changing it.

How they go bad is usually a capacitor will leak all its magic out.. and without that magic the motor won't run right. To check it you'd have to remove it from the truck, open it up, and take a good look at things. From every picture I've seen of a leaky capacitor on/in an ECU its pretty obvious.
lol funny,

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
thank you robbieD but discouraged isnt the word, heart broken is more like it. i just want to cry every time my son works on it and it still keeps stalling at idle. i keep saying come on baby you can do it to the truck. i know im such a girl about it but this truck is my baby and its betrayed me. i knew when i bought it needed alot of help front end and body wise but it started and ran so good i just dont understand how one day its running and idling fine trying to get it up the icey incline to get it in the garage giving it hell all the way but it got in there and still was fine sitting there idling to the next day after getting a new battery for it and putting it in to stalling at idle????????
The stalling started after you installed a battery?

Check the negative cable, the terminal at the battery on the negative cable, and the other end of the cable.

Make sure all battery connections are good and tight and clean

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
The stalling started after you installed a battery?

Check the negative cable, the terminal at the battery on the negative cable, and the other end of the cable.

Make sure all battery connections are good and tight and clean
ok thank you we will check that. my son just here and all the other parts but the plugs are here but due arrive still today. post update after all the parts are installed

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have you changed the fuel filter? If not...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals