• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD to Manual swap?

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I want to swap out my A4LD to a manual but dont know which one to go for. Ive got an 88 2.9L. What is the better trans? M5OD or FM146?

From the research ive done I think I want/need:
M50D from a 4.0L (lower 1st-3rd gear ratio)
4.0 Starter, block plate, flywheel, clutch assembly, starter wiring
Clutch and brake pedals,
Slave cylinder assembly

Do I need to get a 4wd trans or will a 2wd work?
How about transmission crossmember?
Im also assuming that a trans from a exploder will work?

Any advice/thoughts/concerns are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you are asking if a 2wd trans will work in your 4x4 then you didn't search very well.

If the transmission is going in a 4x4 and you are wnating to leave it a 4x4 then you will need the 4x4 transmission. The 2wd transmission will not work and the mainshaft is too long and the tailshaft adapter between the transmissions won't swap correctly due to length.
Your current crossmember will work just fine.
A transmission from an explorer will work just fine.
The 4.0 M5OD-R1 doesn't have the lower 12t or 3rd gearing, that is only found in the 3.0 M5OD-R1's.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The 4.0 M5OD-R1 doesn't have the lower 12t or 3rd gearing, that is only found in the 3.0 M5OD-R1's.
supposedly, the 2.9 version is geared different than the 4.0 version even though externally they are the same. not sure what the differences are without looking it up, but i believe that's probably what he's referring to.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
don't forget a manual trans ecm to prevent hanging/erratic idle

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I got the gearing idea from the tech page so I was just going by that. I couldn't find a definitive answer as to wether a 2wd can easily be converted to a 4wd so that's why I asked. In some older transmissions, all you need to do is swap the tail section.

I went the the local junkyard and found what I was looking for. Trans from a 93 4.0 ranger and a bw1350 manual t case from a 90 bronco 2. The t case in my truck doesn't seem to be working correctly so that's why I'm swapping both. I didn't have all the right tools with me so I'm going back in a few days to finish pulling it.

Sent from my iPhone.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
supposedly, the 2.9 version is geared different than the 4.0 version even though externally they are the same. not sure what the differences are without looking it up, but i believe that's probably what he's referring to.
Yeah I forgot the M5's came behind the 2.9 and that is more than likely what he is reffering to.

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I want to swap out my A4LD to a manual but dont know which one to go for. Ive got an 88 2.9L. What is the better trans? M5OD or FM146?

From the research ive done I think I want/need:
M50D from a 4.0L (lower 1st-3rd gear ratio)
4.0 Starter, block plate, flywheel, clutch assembly, starter wiring
Clutch and brake pedals,
Slave cylinder assembly

Do I need to get a 4wd trans or will a 2wd work?
How about transmission crossmember?
Im also assuming that a trans from a exploder will work?

Any advice/thoughts/concerns are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
if you want to save alittle money, just stick with the 2.9 clutch... it'll save you from getting the starter, block plate and the clutch and flywheel i believe are alittle cheaper...

i just recently replaced my 2.9's starter (original from 88. lol) and sinse i just dumped that money and dont plan on running any bigger tires than stock... i decided the 2.9 clutch will suffice for now.

brake/clutch pedal can be had from a pick N pull... im getting a set tomorrow sinse i grabbed an older set by accident.

i purchased the dorman slave/master cylinder line setup from summit but the lines and resivoir can also be had from a yard...

just remember to replace the slave and the master cylinder with new units so you dont have to take it all apart when they go out

also you have to get a 4wd trans... the output shaft length is different from what ive be told.

and the cross member should bolt right up... just make sure you get the extension housing from the manual trans

Last edited:

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
don't forget a manual trans ecm to prevent hanging/erratic idle
im going to test this idea out with my setup... ive heard that some PCM's that are automatic dont care when they are converted to manual and act just as normal...

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
3 different guys on broncoII.org recently (within the last few months) did this without changing ecms, all 3 experienced, hanging, and/or erratic idle

to be fair 2 of them wer 2.9s, and 1 was a 4.0. the one with the worst symptoms was the 4.0.

i'll see if i can dig up some links

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I could only find these 2 i couldn't remember the titles of the other threads

http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=14459.0
yeah, i do get the high idle.
http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=14578.0
This seems like a pretty common issue...but no one seems to solve it...

I have done all the usual stuff. Checked for vacuum leaks...cleaned and then replaced the IAC...checked for codes(nothing of note)...no Check Engine Light. The TPS is not adjustable...but I will check it for proper voltage tomorrow.

I unplugged the IAC and ran without it for a while today...helped some...got the idle down from 2000rpms to 12-1400...but dome times it would dip to 6-700...and the CEL did come on. So I plugged it back in.

It does seem to drop down after I have been sitting at a light or stop sign for a few seconds.

I was wondering if this might be swap related...the motor and ECU came out of a auto Explorer.

Has anyone here fixed this issue?

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
just completed my swap this weekend and my revs are fine at the moment... so we'll see how my truck progresses.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I grabbed the ecu from a 2.9 b2 for my truck. When I get it done ill try it with the auto ecu and report my results.

Sent from my iPhone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals