• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A strange timeing belt issue, help!

jeffreyott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I snapped my timing belt on the highway, 1994, 2.3l, 177k miles, probably was never changed...

Anyways, now I'm trying to get her back in time, and having issues. I've done all the reading, I have the Chitlins book, read all the forums, etc, yet I still can't get her in time (or even get to run rough)

This is what I'm told:

1) Align the key in the crankshaft to 12-oclock

2) Align the stamped diamond on both the cam and the aux shaft (oil pump) with their respective triangles on the back cover. Or alternatively for the cam, line the cam sprocket up with the middle of three white marks on the back cover.

I was able to align the crankshaft.

However, the cam sprocket does not have a stamped diamond on it's rear plate. It DOES, however, have a molded diamond/triangle on the front of the sprocket. There is also no triangle on the rear cover, nor are there three white marks. There are three plastic flanges though...

There is no backing to the aux shaft sprocket, and therefore no stamped diamond. There is, however, again a molded diamond/triangle on the front of the sprocket. I cannot find any markings on the back cover for the aux shaft sprocket.

I have attached pictures, I was hoping someone would help me with this...

* Here you can see the cam sprocket, the molded diamond/triangle on the front of the sprocket, and my three plastic flanges. Is this OKAY?

http://www.cdnuconn.com/temp/IMG_1144.jpg

*Here is my aux shaft (oil pump) sprocket. Again, no diamond (because there's no backing to the sprocket). there is that molded diamond/triangle...but no marking on the rear cover.

http://www.cdnuconn.com/temp/IMG_1147.jpg

*here is my crankshaft key, which i'll align to 12oclock

http://www.cdnuconn.com/temp/IMG_1149.jpg

any ideas? I could really use some help, it's killing me.

Jeff

bradsutherland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
same issue

must be a bad time for timing belts... i had the same problem, couldnt figure it out till today. both the cam and oil pump have three timing marks. a triangle, diamond, and a indentation. align the triangle on the cam and the diamond on the oil pump. be positive crank is at TDC. it should fire right up.
DONT FORGET TO TIGHTEN TENSIONER!!!

bradsutherland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry...

i replied before i looked at your photos... i dont know what to tell ya unless the > looking notches inside the teeth are your marks.

bradsutherland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my back markings on the same engine where roughly 3:30 on the cam, and 12 o'clock on the oil pump...

jeffreyott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the reply.

Okay it's SOLVED. I'll tell you what happened, so the next some some sorry DIYer is in my shoes they can get some advice.

Basically, call me stupid, but I tried to run the engine without the crank pulley on. Because of that, the crank timing sensor (which is on the crank) wasn't reading (therefore no ignition).

Once I put on the crank pulley, aligned the crank key to 12, and the molded triangle on the FRONT of the cam pulley to the middle of the three plastic flanges, it worked. The aux pulley did NOT have to be aligned (unless if by some pure luck it had to be aligned--and was).

BTW this was a 1994 ford ranger 2.3l...assuming everything is still original. I am not the original owner.

maybe this will help someone down the road. hope it does!

joeking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder SOHC
Transmission
Manual
i couldnt look at your pictures. no matter. question for you! were are the power steering bracket bolts located? I could only see 4 and the darn thing is still attached. suggestions?
thanks so much!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals