• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A lazy man’s guide to rust and paint removal.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As far as the rusting goes, I use a rust convertor with fairly good results. I need to do more research to find out the ingredients. I've heard muriatic acid provides the same results as a convertor but haven't tried it yet.

Richard

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Well... My 7th grade science project or CONTRAPTION as you call it has saved me many many hours of scraping, wire brushing, and or chemical paint removers that destroy the environment. You have read several others on here have used or experimented with the process and concur with me that it really works. In fact Saturday evening I tossed my fuel tank hanger straps in, flipped them over yesterday morning because they were too tall to submerge all at once, pulled them out about noon and ran the Scotch Brite over them in the sink, rinsed them off, inspected them and trust me they looked like fresh factory stampings, squirted paint on them and an hour later hung the fuel tank in my frame. So I am now that much closer to having a RUST FREE 1994 B4000. But to each his own I guess. Don't like the idea.... Don't use it.

I forgot to mention... I took a look at the pic of your ride. It looks like it could benefit substantially from some tank time.

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Local place that sells pool stuff didn't have any when I went.
Hmm that's weird all the ones in my town does, even walmart has a brand they sell :icon_confused:.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well... My 7th grade science project or CONTRAPTION as you call it has saved me many many hours of scraping, wire brushing, and or chemical paint removers that destroy the environment. You have read several others on here have used or experimented with the process and concur with me that it really works. In fact Saturday evening I tossed my fuel tank hanger straps in, flipped them over yesterday morning because they were too tall to submerge all at once, pulled them out about noon and ran the Scotch Brite over them in the sink, rinsed them off, inspected them and trust me they looked like fresh factory stampings, squirted paint on them and an hour later hung the fuel tank in my frame. So I am now that much closer to having a RUST FREE 1994 B4000. But to each his own I guess. Don't like the idea.... Don't use it.

I forgot to mention... I took a look at the pic of your ride. It looks like it could benefit substantially from some tank time.
I wasn't knocking your experiment at all i think you had me misconstrued i think its just scary playing with electricity like that, maybe thats from the time my dad sent me into the attic to wire our kitchen when i was 12 and ended up getting a shock, may have been my fault, but really wasnt my fault. Yes i know the old b2 could use some rust removal until i know im keeping her im not going to put a lot of work into her besides regular maintenance and repairs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals