• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 will not run in cold weather today!

greg544

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I live in Houston. We dont have much cold weather, but the temps have been in the 20s for the past 48 hours. This morning I can crank the truck, but as soon as I take my foot off of the gas it dies. I can recrank without problem (so far), and I was able to back out of my driveway, but as soon as I step on the brake and off of the gas, it dies.

What can I do other than waiting for warmer weather?

I had the truck inspected two days ago. There were no codes when they did that test.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try letting it warm up for a bit.

My best guess would be clean the IAC (mountede on the throttle body with two 8mm bolts) with some carb cleaner / solvent. The IAC controls idle. http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=39 This is an older style.

4.0's are also prone to intake manifold gasket leaks (vacuum leaks allow unmetered air into the engine, making it idle/run rough). Inspect the Intake rubber tube for security and its connections. PCV tubing elbows are another leak spot.

Welcome to The Ranger Station!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals