• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger Lockers....

BlueLighting1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Do you need two locker or only one??
Do they make Locking hubs for a 99 4WD XLT Ranger?

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Your question is a little confusing. Are you asking about locking hubs or lockers in the differential?

Yes, they make manual hubs for the 98-01 rangers. They are called AVM hubs. I have a set, and they work very well. They sell in pairs at about $100

As far as 1 or 2 locking hubs, it depends on what you have in the front differential. If you have a locker up front, you could use either 1 or 2. If you have open or limited slip differential, you need 2 hubs.

You can have any combination of lockers between the differentials. The truck you ask about has an LS in the rear, and an open up front. (I have the same truck model.)

BlueLighting1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Your question is a little confusing. Are you asking about locking hubs or lockers in the differential?

Yes, they make manual hubs for the 98-01 rangers. They are called AVM hubs. I have a set, and they work very well. They sell in pairs at about $100

As far as 1 or 2 locking hubs, it depends on what you have in the front differential. If you have a locker up front, you could use either 1 or 2. If you have open or limited slip differential, you need 2 hubs.

You can have any combination of lockers between the differentials. The truck you ask about has an LS in the rear, and an open up front. (I have the same truck model.)
Alright man sweet so you if i had a stock differential and i wanted to add manual lockers i would need two??????????????:icon_confused::icon_confused:
Im sorry but im very confused and i just want someone to clear this up for me?
So which combos would i need 2 lockers or 1 locker
Not locking hubs lockers for example:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differential/Eaton-Posi.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pl=5460
And for locking hubs your saying the AVM has some for my truck?

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
woah buddy...you dont have a clue what youre talking about eh? that link you posted is for an eaton posi (limited slip).

On each side of the front axle, there is a hub....this will connect the tire (one per side) to teh front axle. These are called manual hubs.

As you are 4wd, you have an axle in the front, AND one in the rear.

What he was saying is that you can put whatever you want....either a locker in just the rear, or just the front, or both.

Its up to you.

BlueLighting1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
woah buddy...you dont have a clue what youre talking about eh? that link you posted is for an eaton posi (limited slip).

On each side of the front axle, there is a hub....this will connect the tire (one per side) to teh front axle. These are called manual hubs.

As you are 4wd, you have an axle in the front, AND one in the rear.

What he was saying is that you can put whatever you want....either a locker in just the rear, or just the front, or both.

Its up to you.
Okay now i get this man thanks:icon_thumby:
So my other question would have to be what differnce would it make if i put a locker in the
front?
rear?
or both?
If i put a front locker would i see more power from the front?
Same with the back?
And waht about if i put a front and back one in???

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Is this your daily driver?

A rear locker will make 60% difference....a front locker will make the other 40% however either by themselves produce very noticeable benefits in the traction aspect of things.

Locked front and rear lessens your turning radius due to the front 2 tires following a longer path than the rear tires. This is becasue the are all fighting for traction and getting alot of it by fighting each other. Good offroad...sometimes bad for snow and ice.

Im locked front and rear with Powertrax brand automatic locking lockers and they are awesome. The rear locker I hardly notice on the pavement...but everyones tolerances for their vehicle's drivability is different. Mine is high.

A locker just in the front will make the truck want to all ways pull with the front tires....sometimes putting undue strain on the front axle. Can sometimes break stuff if you arent careful with the skinny pedal due to the fron axle doing alot of the pulling/biting/traction forces.

A locker in the rear is most common and provides many benefits, but the down side is that you have to live with it (depending on which type of locker you get) all the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals