• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger 2.5l Lifters Rattling

Nick806

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 Ranger with the 2.5L its a 5spd stick shift 2wd with 105,000 farm & dirt road miles. I recently got this pickup from my dad and its been his work truck on the farm for about 7 years. The lifters are knockin like hell and it sounds horrible. He told me its been doin that for 3 years. Well the local shop I'm always hangin out at said the rockers can't be adjusted and not to worry about it. Is this common on these 2.5L motors? Also when shifting gears the rpms don't want to drop. It tries to stay at the same rpm for a fw seconds like there might be some kind of idle control thing messed up but not to sure. Any help and suggestions would be great. Keep in mind this was a free pickup with a straight body but not worth putting a lot of money into, might only have 105,000 miles but everything is worn like it had 300,000 miles on it.

ranger1999xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, To fix your idle problem, you need to take off your IAC (Idle Air Controller) Valve on the top back of the intake. Soak it in Carb Cleaner and clean it out. Then put it back on. That should fix your idle problem.:headbang:

Nick806

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
about the lifters, i have the same problem, im gonna try using a lighter oil, i use 25w-40, because i live in tropical weather, and im gonna use an engine flush too, my mech says that would help

Nick806

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
i just switched from 10w-30 to 5w-30 and they don't make near as much noise now. might give a lighter oil a try

DangeRanger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i had a friend who had that same problem. his oil screen was clogged, so he wasn't getting oil movement to his lifters.

Nick806

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
i changed the oil just yesterday to the 5w-30 synthetic blend and got a lot quieter and i thought great im done jackin with it for a while.this mornin thetimin belt broke. lol go figure huh

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals