• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 auto trany to 5 speed

jcrangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering what 5 speed to look for

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You may not know all that may be involved with that swap. There is lots and lots to swap besides just the tranny.
Big JIm

jcrangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the 4r44e hav had nothing but problems is there a parts list I can find some where

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
you are really gonna piss off the computer:icon_confused:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why not simply sell that ride and getcha the one you really want? When you are done... and that should be months from now, you will have a bastard that looks from the drivers seat like an automatic but isn't. WHO is goona want that ride?
There is so much to swap to make it real that you almost need a complete donor vehicle.
Not quite but there is a lot more than simply putting the tranny in there.
Big JIm

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Big Jim's right. Donor vehicle would be the easiest way to go. Besides the tranny, you'll need at least: computer from manual truck, pedals, and steering column. I'd also suggest the gauge cluster as well.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Big Jim's right. Donor vehicle would be the easiest way to go. Besides the tranny, you'll need at least: computer from manual truck, pedals, and steering column. I'd also suggest the gauge cluster as well.
the steering column is optional for the most part. youll just have a useless auto shifter there if you don't get a different one.

oldfordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
the guys are right. Either sell what you have, or get the auto trans fixed correctly, and maintain it. I've done the auto to manual swap in the past, regretted all the work involved. In addition to the computer, steering column (maybe), gauge cluster (maybe), you also need to get a new set of pedals, clutch linkage or maybe the ranger has a hydraulic clutch. Sometimes the holes will be drilled where you have to hang new stuff, sometimes not. If you have a 4WD, there are different safety switches for 4WD. I have also seen setups where the driveshaft is different between the auto and manual trans, either length or different types of ends. I think that the 4 wheel antilock brake systems have a sensor in the trans/transfer case. Trust me, it's a real PITA.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
the guys are right. Either sell what you have, or get the auto trans fixed correctly, and maintain it. I've done the auto to manual swap in the past, regretted all the work involved. In addition to the computer, steering column (maybe), gauge cluster (maybe), you also need to get a new set of pedals, clutch linkage or maybe the ranger has a hydraulic clutch. Sometimes the holes will be drilled where you have to hang new stuff, sometimes not. If you have a 4WD, there are different safety switches for 4WD. I have also seen setups where the driveshaft is different between the auto and manual trans, either length or different types of ends. I think that the 4 wheel antilock brake systems have a sensor in the trans/transfer case. Trust me, it's a real PITA.
yes, the ranger clutch system is hydraulic. and all of the holes and access panels for the swap are there, you just have to unbolt them and remove the covers. not hard, but time consuming.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals