• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'98 hubs

Redranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 6cyl
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1998 ford ranger. i had been up at the mountains for deer huntin and had snow the whole time. This was the first time i had used the 4wd for a long period of time.(all week). I noticed that the front wheels kept disengaging. It was really pissing me off having to switch it back into 4wd every minute ot two. I was wondering if it was common. I probaly know that i need the locking hubs anf i want to get them. What to i need to get and what kind of a job is it to replace the vacuum ones?

thanks joe

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The vacuum hubs are problem prone. Sounds like you have a vacuum leak.

You can get AVM manual locking hubs. They just replace the outer vacuum disconnect so it's easy to install them.

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I highly recomend the AVM hubs, They cost only 100 bucks and there's no question whether or not they're locked. Plus you can install them with a screwdriver, rubber mallet and about 10 minutes.

Redranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 6cyl
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the quick response. I will check them out. i will look forward to being able to count on them to work.

Dillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what are avm hubs?
i'm having trouble with hubs (I think)I jack truck up all 4 wheels off ground , engaged 4 hi rear drive shaft & front drive shafts are turning. However neither front wheel is turning but the front axle shafts are turning. Are my automatic hubs bad?

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
what are avm hubs?
i'm having trouble with hubs (I think)I jack truck up all 4 wheels off ground , engaged 4 hi rear drive shaft & front drive shafts are turning. However neither front wheel is turning but the front axle shafts are turning. Are my automatic hubs bad?
Yes.

Dillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pardon the trivial questions(i'm a rookie with a ranger) but what makes the hubs go bad? when I bought this truck back in the summer the 4x4 was not engaging the person we bought from had the dealer to fix this problem. It did work until a few weeks ago.I guess I'll check with dealer to see exactly what they did and maybe there work is still under warranty.

suzuki2903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
where can you get the avm hubs for 100 ?

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I got mine on ebay. Theres a company that sells them and sometimes puts their name on them, I want to say its rugged ridge, but I could be wrong.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals