• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 XLT 4.0 5 SPEED RADIO

judgejohnmd

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This has an old Pioneer replacement radio which doesn’t work: just looking for suggestions for an upgrade: single or double? Don’t need CD option: don’t want to spend a ton!!
Thanks!
Judgejohnmd
image.jpg

IMG_2602.jpeg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For less expensive wrecking yards are a good place to shop for radios

1985 and up Rangers used the DIN sizing for radios, its a standardize height and width size(but not depth), that all vehicle makers adopted in the 1980's
Double DIN is the same width but twice as tall

1997 can use up to a 7 1/2" depth

If you get it(3rd party radio) from a wrecking yard and a Ranger then it should have the interface harness with it, so plug and play

Reactions: gaz

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Depending on how cheap you wanna go... Factory radios were not bad. It's the stock speakers that sucked. Mostly cause you're talking about a 30 year old paper cone.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can buy Sony, Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood single DIN stereos that will side right in place of that one. I recently bought an Alpine for $119. I suggest buying one that will play media from USB and that it has the ability to play FLAC files. That will run about $120. There are cheaper stereos starting at about $70, but they have USB. I suggest sticking with the major brands.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've cheaped out with the Boss Audio $40 unit from Amazon that's single DIN, USB input and phone pairing, have two of them actually...

There's two dumb things with those, first on both I've had to power them both up, unplug the power connector from the back with the key on then plug it back in 20 seconds later to get the speakers to work, after that first connection they've both been fine. The other dumb thing is the retention catches keeping them from pushing in do NOT work, go over a bump while changing the volume and you push it in an inch... I tried bending them out a little but that didn't work, I'm about to put a drywall screw in opposing corners... The older one with a USB drive plugged in the front occasionally needs to have the drive unplugged then plugged in again to work and the random resets itself every key up so I have to hit the random button again...

sandness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
As for the retention clips, I had a similar issue with a new "non-name brand" deck. I pulled out the radio and bent the clips way in so when I slid the radio back in, it held tighter.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like the cheap single din pioneer units. Good sound, last one I bought was $60 at Best Buy.
Am/FM/CD/AUX USB cost more.
Looks like yours had a satellite antenna too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals