• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 ranger 4.0 tuning options

97rrocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’ve been looking to get a little more pep out of my ranger. I’m ordering a Gibson exhaust and I wanted to pair that with some tuning but I can’t find anything besides hypertech or jet programmers, it seems like sct doesn’t come with loaded tunes anymore and all the custom tuners laughed in my face when I asked if they’d tune it. I’ve also tried to contact rogue on email and social media and never heard back, are they not around anymore? Any help would be appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Not sure if anyone has the good tuner stuff for 4.0l OHV(1990-2000) its 23 years since the last one was made/sold

And in Denver you have the issue of low air pressure and "thinner air", the 5,000ft elevation is Turbo country, lol, just to break even

Ranger 4.0l OHV came with Cold Air Intake and tuned exhaust in all years
Factory Exhaust is tuned for mid-range power, so 3rd party exhaust should be tuned for low-range power to get any benefit, but you do lose the mid-range, so more power "off the line", less power cruising

All gasoline engine power is based on one thing, AIR
A 5 liter engine has more power than a 4 liter engine because it can pull in 1 liter more AIR, simple as that

Bigger Cams allow in more AIR
Turbo or super chargers add more power because they can Force in more AIR
Nitrous Oxide releases more oxygen(AIR) when its used

So common theme here is AIR = power, more AIR = more power

If you just add more gasoline you get a flooded engine not more power

So of course Less AIR = less power, which is why higher elevations reduce engine power

Ford does a pretty good job in tuning the computers for the engine, but they tune for best performance, best MPG and best emissions
So a custom tune can forget best MPG and best emissions and focus on best power
But in the case of the 4.0l OHV you would be looking at less than 10 more HP, closer to 5HP and not much more torque, unless you went with a 93octane tune, might get above 10HP added, but not much above, and have to run Premium gas $$$

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals