• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger Axle Swap Options

Snapcity57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I recently purchased a 96 4x4 3L v6 ranger with the Dana hybrid 35 axle up front (I believe. Sticker says 610484 6). I have to take it apart anyway to replace the u-joints, but one of the locking hubs is stuck on as well.

I also have a 2000 4x4 3L ranger with the live front axle (Dana 35 SLA), and am a big fan of this setup. What can I do with the 96 to make it more like my 2000? I'd rather have the live axle and not have to fiddle around with first fixing and then using the locking hubs. Is it possible that the hybrid 35 can use some of the same pieces as the 35 SLA? If not, how difficult would it be to swap the hybrid for the SLA entirely? I haven't been able to find anything on that swap.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Might be easier to swap the 96 body ononthe 2000 frame.

Snapcity57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not changing the 2000 at all, just saying that that's my point of reference and I'd like to get a similar live front axle setup on the 96.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The front connection points of the front axles for those 2 year are totally different. I've never truly looked at the SLA front end but from what I know there would be lots of grinding, cutting, and welding the frame to accomplish what you want. That why I suggested the body swap instead.
Buy the truck frame with with SLA and do a body swap.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Going to the newer SLA front suspension would be a nightmare and likely involve a partial frame swap, way too many changes, engine crossmember different, rack and pinion vs conventional steering box, torsion bar crossmember that's combined with the transmission crossmember...

A properly working TTB suspension is a nice thing as well, on the road the SLA suspension works great, mild offroading they're fairly similar, I'm a fan of simplicity though, there's like 1/4 the moving parts on a TTB vs a SLA, big part of why I got a '97 for a daily driver... don't get me wrong, I've beat the snot out of my '00 Explorer, the front axle still works so it must all still be there? There's some strange noises that are sometimes hard to ignore that I haven't figured out, but I haven't tried either...

Swapping in a Jeep Dana 30 is the easiest but for just general use wouldn't gain you anything for ride...

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have the SLA but like the TTB setup better, just leave your hubs locked and it's the same as a live axle.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that... just because it has hubs doesn't mean they have to be disengaged...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals