• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 2.3L XLT Model Transmission Help

Rocker3829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey y'all, would greatly appreciate any help y'all can give with my question here.

I am replacing the Slave Cylinder (some occasional noise in the clutch when it engages and disengages, troubleshootin guide from the manual and some people I've talked to point toward this being it) and obviously have to remove the transmission. I am having problems pulling the transmission off the motor. I have followed the instruction list in the manual but am wondering if I have missed a couple of bolts attaching the motor to the tranny. I have removed 6 bolts (two at the bottom of the transmission, one a few inches above the starter, one equivalent to above the starter on the other side, one about 6 inches higher than the starter near the exhaust pipe, and one just beneath the oil filter) and the two above that) that connect the two (as well as having already removed the transmission mount, electrical connections to the tranny, the driveshaft, starter, shifter, and pushrod from the clutch, as well as already disconnecting the battery), does anyone know how many bolts attach the motor to the tranny by chance? I do have a jack with a wood block supporting the engine from underneath and a jack with a wood block supporting the transmission.

Sorry for the blob of info, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some random info on the ranger that might help

96 2.3L SLT Ranger
Just under 221,000 miles
I bought this from a friend Dec. 2004 w/ 154,935 miles on it (first time I've had any problems with anything in the clutch assembly)

rangerstzz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985-1992
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3-2.9
Transmission
Manual
did you remove the two at the very top of the trans?

Rocker3829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
did you remove the two at the very top of the trans?
If you are referring to above the top 2 I already mentioned then no (the ones just underneath the oil filter and next to the exhaust about half a foot above the starter).

Where should I look to locate these last 2? I appreciate the response

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals