• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'95 B2300: is gas tank replacement necessary?

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
OK. The bed is off the truck, and the two pipes coming out of the fuel pump assembly are rusted to sh*t flakes. So I've got a new pump assembly, but the lock ring is rusted to flakes as well. I'll have to remove the tank to remove all the crap that has fallen in there from the rusted lines, plates, etc. Can I replace the lock ring? No, right? Because it has two parts, right? And the lower part is integral with the tank, right?

There's no drain on this tank, that I can see. I bought a little pump to pump it out, but I'll probably have to steam clean it to get all the crap out.

What are my options, beside buying a new tank from Ford? Anybody know what that costs, btw?

Thanks.

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Went out this morning, with a little extra light, I used a 1/4" wood chisel and a hammer and chipped out an 1/8" thick layer of rust from around the fuel pump assembly cover plate, and was then able to pry the rusted-out lock ring loose. Then the pump assembly was free to come out. The part that the lock ring locks on to is an integral part of the tank, and I discovered it is usable. I just need a new lock ring, not the whole tank. That saves me $300 for a new tank.

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals