• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger - Do I have an AC leak or what??

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Or do I need to find a set of 'real' gauges?
This (from the very beginning).

Might I suggest you spend some time searching and reading over here on this forum, as it appears there may be a number of basics you should probably review before you get too far along on this. Lots of information available on that site (check their Tips, procedures & FAQ section to start)

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This (from the very beginning).

Might I suggest you spend some time searching and reading over here on this forum, as it appears there may be a number of basics you should probably review before you get too far along on this. Lots of information available on that site (check their Tips, procedures & FAQ section to start)

Don't waste your time trying to help this guy, I give up trying to help him.:icon_confused:
But I will post this link http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/June04/tech.htm

Last edited:

dorough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks 4x4 and fordforlife. Like I said before, I'm trying to learn and your answers (without the sarcasm others have used) are very helpful. Press 1, cram it up your butt and go find another forum to insult people. :thefinger:

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks 4x4 and fordforlife. Like I said before, I'm trying to learn and your answers (without the sarcasm others have used) are very helpful. Press 1, cram it up your butt and go find another forum to insult people. :thefinger:

The first thread in this section explains A/C and is quite good but you obviously didn't see or understand it......A/C 101.
A/C is not like changing spark plugs, air filters, changing oil or plug wires....you need to know what you are doing and have the proper equipment......leak detector, gauge manifold, vacuum pump and the knowledge of what parts to buy. You'll be back on here after you screw something up.
I hope you don't intend on working on a home 410a system where the head pressures are 450-550 psi in the summer because you could get hurt. I may not think you are the brightest bulb in the box but I wouldn't want to see you get hurt.

Last edited:

dorough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The first thread in this section explains A/C and is quite good but you obviously didn't see or understand it......A/C 101.
A/C is not like changing spark plugs, air filters, changing oil or plug wires....you need to know what you are doing and have the proper equipment......leak detector, gauge manifold, vacuum pump and the knowledge of what parts to buy. You'll be back on here after you screw something up.
I hope you don't intend on working on a home 410a system where the head pressures are 450-550 psi in the summer because you could get hurt. I may not think you are the brightest bulb in the box but I wouldn't want to see you get hurt.
A much more helpful reply. Thank you.

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
The gauge that comes with most of these off the shelf kits is only useful for measuring the low pressure side. It cannot be adapted to fit the high pressure side, nor is the hose rated for the pressures. You are best suited to finding a set of manifold gauges or having someone read the pressures for you. Also, the pressures on the A/C system when powered off will reach 100 psi or higher depending on the outside temperature and the level of charge in the system. Using a regular gauge set you should see the pressures equalize on both high and low around 100 to 120 psi once the system is shut down and allowed to stabilize. This is normal. If the pressures don't equalize, or if they are abnormally low (say, around 50 psi) and the system was not running during a fairly cool day (75F or lower), the system could be undercharged/leaking.

Junkyardexpress

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
P235/R15
haynes heating and airconditioning manuel will give you diagnosis info as well in the back it tells you pressures and charge amounts and oil capacity and my ranger was leaking around the were the accumulator mount wraps around the inlet line of the evaporator.

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
You really need a set of gauges an ok set will set you back about 40 to 100 bucks depending where you get them. But generally 40-45 psi on the low side and no higher than 225-250 on the high side is what you should see, obviously the high side will read higher than normal while parked but putting a big fan in front of the grill to simulate driving conditions, or pouring a little water on the condenser can help with more accurate readings. What your mainly looking at is the psi when the compressor is engaged! Remember over charging is very dangerous, also it will decrease efficiency! Going over just a few psi will cause it to not cool! Your best bet is to get some tools for the job at hand and read up on this, or just try one of the refrigerants with dye and get a kit to spot it. Otherwise you will never find that leak.

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Compressor not engaging at all.

Can that be low (or no) freon?
Thanks.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
What do you mean?

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What I mean is that is there a pressure switch located somewhere that inhibits the compressor clutch from engaging if there is no freon in the system.
Thanks.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Yes there is, most every vehicle has one. It will shut off the compressor if the pressure is inadequate to save the compressor from oil starvation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals