• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger 4.0l v6 manual Arguement

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At what speed are you shifting into 4th and then overdrive?

Because I have a well running 4.0 with 4.10 gears and frankly I think OD is USELESS when NOT towing below ~65mph.

If you have 3.73's (likely but not certain, but better than the other likely alternatives), 3.55's (More likely) or even 3.27's
(also possible) with increasingly taller axle gears you'd have SEVERE issues at 60mph in OD, because you've shifted up into a gear you can't really use.

Your owners manual tells you "DO NOT USE OD while towing" (At all)
lol, i think theres something wrong with his truck there allan, i know ive towed plenty plenty, of mid size trucks, quads, go carts flat towed(more like a dune buggy)speed was never really a issue

all my trucks were 2.9s that i towed with too, they could easily tow another extended cab ranger behind me on towbar.

highway speeds were never a issue either

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
4th gear and 60mph = 2000rpms 5gear and 60 = 1500 rpms.
A little on the low RPM side of things, but nothing that would need full throttle. I do think you're a little down on power.

However, while towing things, I don't think 2,000RPM is that crazy. Even for a 4.0L. The tiny bit of extra RPM will probably even help.

Unless you're regularly towing stuff I think you're fine with what you have, maybe just give things a good tune up. (plugs, maybe wires, air filter, compression check, etc). If the original owner was indeed a bit shady, 196,000 would be about time for fuel injectors, does it have a hard time starting at all?

For now, leave her in 4th and tow away. (which is technically better for the trans anyways)

Last edited:

Skatike27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Doesnt have a hard time starting. Seems like I get the best mileage in OD at 75+ mph on the highway. I drive to and from school from time to time and have noticed that in OD at 75mph. I get better gas mileage than at 65mph. I am beginning to wonder if the truck isn't a little bit beat.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Doesnt have a hard time starting. Seems like I get the best mileage in OD at 75+ mph on the highway. I drive to and from school from time to time and have noticed that in OD at 75mph. I get better gas mileage than at 65mph. I am beginning to wonder if the truck isn't a little bit beat.
Naaaa... just geared a bit too tall.

I have 4.10's and 235's and I get best mileage @ 65mph

AD

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
At what speed are you shifting into 4th and then overdrive?

Because I have a well running 4.0 with 4.10 gears and frankly I think OD is USELESS when NOT towing below ~65mph.

If you have 3.73's (likely but not certain, but better than the other likely alternatives), 3.55's (More likely) or even 3.27's
(also possible) with increasingly taller axle gears you'd have SEVERE issues at 60mph in OD, because you've shifted up into a gear you can't really use.

Your owners manual tells you "DO NOT USE OD while towing" (At all)
+1

The only time I'm ever in OD is above 65 (even unloaded)... I say just leave it in 4th and let her fly...

Skatike27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Just a few more tid-bits... mileage on the highway is 22mpg at about 70mph. Also, if I go into over drive the speedo reads 4-5mph lower than actual. I have a gps and it states that when the speedo is reading 65mph, im really doing 70mph. Dont know if this helps you guys out but i appreciate all the help so far guys.

Kendal Coker

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have towed 3000lb cars on a trailer (not tow dolly) in 4 gear with no problem. You have to be carefull and have trailer brakes but I never had any problem. My truck now has 370K on the original engine. I am on my second 5 speed.

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
I tow in excessive of 5K lbs on my ranger , which has in excess of 500K miles and it never fails to keep up with traffic.
When I tow I never use 5th gear

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i dont tow in 5th, in fact i dont use 5th during the winter when im carring a exrta 500 # in the back. i have a '93 4.0 with 235-75-15's and 3.73's turning 2,000 @ 55 in 5th, 2,500 @ 55 in 4rth. when i pulled my box trailer home after i first bought it i mistakingly went to 5th gear out of habit, it had no power and wouldnt maintain speed with the cruise control. the trailer has alot of frontal area but only weighs 1,000 pounds empty. pulls fine in 4rth, just uses alot of fuel if i go much past 60 (due to frontal area) id regear yours to 3.73-4.10 what your towing is defintly doable by a 4.0 ohv, i think your just geared a bit high, and dont use o/d if the cruise wont maintain ground speed. personally id stay out of 5th altogether when towing anything but a empty tow dolly or small flatbed trailer.

Skatike27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Alright guys. First off I dont even attempt to tow in 5th. Now, from the sounds of it I have one or both of two issues... One, the truck is just old (lots of miles) OR two, the truck just has high gearing. Now its winter here in good ol wisconsin and im not about to crawl under my truck and start digging at the differential but when it is a tad bit warmer out I will, question is, is there any markings on the the ring gear that I can read? Or do i need to pull apart the differential and start counting teeth? Also, being that I would like to comfortably tow a 2000lb trailer, what gearing should I be looking at? Thank you all for your input so far. Tom.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On the b pillar or back of the drivers door is a tag with the gvw, vin and some other bs. Look where it says axle and it will give u a code u can look up in owners manual or here to see what your gears are

Skatike27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So heres part of my problem I have 3.27s for gearing.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
:D

yeah, not the best fer towing. even with a cummins.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals