• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 3.0L with whining transmission

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 94 3.0L (2WD, automatic) has developed a whining noise that I believe is coming from the transmission. It was leaking fluid - I repaired the leak and added about one third of a pint of fluid to get the level back in the "normal range" on the dip stick.

Before and after the repair/adding the fluid, the transmission shifted normally in all gears and appears to be operating normally with the exception of the whining noise. Adding the fluid had no effect on the noise. When I checked the fluid level, the fluid on the dip stick was "normal color/smell" - no indications of burning ( I have changed the fluid every year since I bought it new). The noise is a lot more noticeable when driving at low speeds in the lower gears (like in a parking lot or when starting from a standing stop).

If the transmission is the source of the noise, how much damage am I looking at and is replacing the transmission the only feasible repair. Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1994 was the last year of the A4LD transmission in Rangers, and since A4LD and newer models were computer controlled you have to stick with the A4LD, your engine computer can't control anything else.
3.0l engine's bellhousing is also unique, so if you do look for another A4LD it must be for a 3.0l and 2WD

Whining could be torque converter but..............hard to tell

Is there whining when stopped?
or only in gear and moving?

And whining when moving in Reverse?

Torque converter spins at engine RPMs, in gear or not, front(main) pump also spins at engine RPMs, in gear or not.

Output shaft and gears spin at driveshaft RPMs, so only when moving

Rear differential also only spins when moving

Last edited:

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
RonD,

Thanks for your post. I drove it around this afternoon and here's what I can tell you in response to your questions:

Truck is in park and idling: No noise

Truck is in park, pressure applied to accelerator: No noise

Truck is in reverse and moving: No noise

Truck is in drive, pressure applied to accelerator, other foot on brake to keep from moving: whining noise varies with pressure applied to accelerator

Truck is in drive and moving: whining noise varies with pressure applied to accelerator

I did check the differential fluid this afternoon and it appears normal (removed plug and put a finger in differential - came out wet and color appears normal. fluid has been changed twice since I bought the truck).

The only other things I can add are: The noise seems to be coming from the front half of the truck (although noises can be hard to track down sometimes); when I come to a stop, the noise "lingers" for a couple of seconds after the truck has stopped and the transmission isn't displaying any of the "traditional signs" of a problem:

-- It isn't slipping
-- All gears are functioning normally
-- fluid isn't foaming, doesn't smell odd or burnt, looks translucent (like it came out of the container I bought it in) and the level is in the "hash marks" on the dip stick after the truck has been driven.

I know it's an old truck, but it has given me a lot of years of good service and I'd hate to get rid of it. Also, I read on line today that the A4LD transmission was reliable. Thanks again for your help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well it shouldn't be torque converter or front pump if there is no noise in "Park/Neutral".
And no noise in Reverse would also confirm not a torque converter issue to do with load.

Yes, A4LD was a good transmission, good read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml

A4LD became the 4R55E(44E) and then 5R55E(44E), by adding more electronic controls, basic transmission parts were the same.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals