• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'94 3.0 Auto cold weather misfire

Stankard757

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Picked up my 94 with a 3.0 this past summer had to replaced a few sensors and it ran great. A little over a week ago the temperature here in VA hit the 30s overnight (work mid shift) Got off and started the truck to go home. Truck started right up without hesitation, but once idling there was a loud rattling and when I tapped the gas the engine would stumble. After a few minutes the rattling and stumble goes away and it runs as good as before no problems.

The oil is good and clear, same with the coolant. No obvious leaks, No smoke except for when it stumbles, but that clears up when the rattling/stumble stops. No weird smells and no codes. And the compression tested good when I bought it. What's confusing me is it only occurs when the temperature drops, the colder it is the worst it gets. Hasn't done it on warmer days and not if parked for a short amount of time ie ... couple of hours. Kinda sounds like the valves are slapping which is why I thought fuel/spark systems.

My plan of attack is to start with checking the "spark" then move onto the "fuel". Unless some of you fine individuals have come across this and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Mike

Ps.
Almost forgot this is not the original motor. It was replaced by a previous owner I have no history on it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
How many miles on the engine and what type of oil are you running? On a worn engine it may take a little bit for the lifters to adjust in colder weather. The lifters may be a little sticky also if there is a lot of sludge build up in the engine. A can of Rislone in the oil will usually fix any lifter problems.

Stankard757

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Truck has about 136, 000, engine is unknown was replaced 2 previous owners ago all the kid I bought it from knew was it was supposedly low mileage. Had the engine checked and fluids changed by a local shop before I handed over $$. So probably a generic stock weight oil.

I'll pick up some Rislone and give it a shot. Finger crossed 🤞

Thanks

bills4065

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It sounds like a cold engine only issue. I would check my engine coolant temp sensor and associated wiring to make sure sensor is operating properly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals