• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 2.3L bogging on acceleration

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
got a code today....drove it to town again....did about the same...when I turn the truck off and start it back up while coasting down the road, it gets gas as it should most of the time and goes for about a minute or two sometimes until it does it again. Check engine light came on and went back off at least 7-10 times while driving. Came home....no CEL....tried to pull the codes anyway to see what would happen......

So the code....I think I got code 172:::::
Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

When my check engine light comes on when the wires are jumped it goes as follows....

1 superfast dim blink......3 second delay

1 longer blink.....3 second delay

maybe code 111?..if so, it means "system check ok"...I can tell that the ecu must be running a system test because I can hear the fuel pump turn on for a 2nd time at the beginning of the blinking.

AFTER that code repeats itself again,

6 second delay.....
1 longer blink....2 second delay
7 fast short blinks....2 second delay
2 longer blinds....then repeats itself again.

So there is what Im working with......Maybe the o2 sensor...but would it make the truck bog down like that? Even at normal gas it still tries to bog down and will not accelarate most of the time.....

Also, my gas door has been shaved by the PO. There is a spot cut out in the bed to add gas to the tank. The gas cap is a screw in type and the filler neck piece doesnt have threads. It still holds in there but Im sure it doesnt create a perfect seal.....would this cause any problems? I doubt it as the truck did run fine before and still had that bad gas cap.

Last edited:

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How old are your O2 sensors? When mine started going bad the CEL did the same- at first it was a pop on-off kind of deal but the truck ran fine, then it became a steady on with the truck running fine, and then it became a pop on-stay on and the truck bogged down for minute or so. And then I replaced it.

O2's do go bad, and if they're 100k or older they're probably just worn out.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
thats weird. i woudl've thought a bad 02 would act up all the time, no matter if you reset the computer or not. You've only got one 02 though so luckily not too expensive to change. :D I did mine a few months back. I sprayed some pb blaster on it and let it sit for like 3 hrs, went out with a wrench and had it out in like 3 minutes. I swear that stuff is awsome.

also, yes you read the codes right. the first set of codes are active codes (111) the second are in memory, so if you don't have a CEL on when you check the codes 111 always pops up first.

Last edited:

fastbluetruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1991
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
if after checking your O2 sensor check you pick up on the front of the motor down by the crankshaft this is the pick up for the ignition and it could be going out on you and be fritzing. i think your truck only has one fuel pump and it could be going out too one of my other cars acts like that when it starts to wear out it is not good to run around on less than a 1/4 of a tank of gas all the time because the pump will run hot all the time and wear out early if you do this a lot

fastbluetruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1991
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
also could be tps or speed sensor. check them the way the manuel says before just replacing them no since wasting money. like i said one of my other cars like to act the same way when the fuel pup starts to go. good luck

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I swapped the ICM off the other ranger I had.....swapped around a coil pack or two and have fire on all cylinders and plugs now.

Drove it down the road......still bogging down and sputtering. Same problem....any ideas?
Yeah clogged cats or you have no cats. The lack of o2 sensors or bad o2 readings from clogged cats have you running rich. I have a cherry bomb straight out of the header on my 92 2.3l and this is the problem I have been battling for a long time. I had a bad coil and I replaced mine and it is still doing the same thing. Take off the battery term for 10 mins and unplug the spout plug. Little grey inline plug. then connect the battery turn the truck on, let it run for a sec and reconnect the spout plug. See what happens. Maybe your fix will be easier than mine.

Edit: the reason teh O2 sensor causes the truck to run like that is it reads hwo much o2 is in the exhaust, (unburnt) If there is too much or too little then it adds or removes fuel according to the readings of that sensor. the problem is when that sensor goes nutz it imitates a bad MAF sensor. which also reads the air coming into the motor and adjsut fuel accordingly. If it goes bad the truck limps. If you have a leak in your intake tube somewhere, maybe sumthing that got pulled loose and is letting unmetered air into the engine then it will give you teh same results as a bad o2.

Last edited:

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
UPDATE: Finally got a new 02 put in.......still having the same problem. It seems the engine isnt getting fuel on a cylinder. If I drive it, 90% of the time it has no power and obviously isnt firing or getting gas. I fixed the firing so must be gas. Sometimes when driving it the power will kick back in and drive fine but only for about 10 secs. When I changed the fuel filter it was like doodoo water coming out the rear end of it haha. Maybe some of this "doodoo" made it to my injectors and one of them is clogging up too much. So......I will probably be removing the injectors this week

Birdracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a spark problem to me i would replace your coilpack or ignition module and go from there...

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Have you cleaned your MAF? I would get a can of sensor cleaner and start testing sensors. Had a Chevy that did the same thing until I cleaned the MAF and changed the air filter. The whole thing took a dump on me like two months later, but that's a whole 'nother story. Guess that's a Chevy for ya lol. good luck!

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
What's the current situation with engine codes? Don't replace any more parts yet - there's no reason to swap anything out until you're sure it's broken. Shotgunning parts breaks the bank without fixing the truck.

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
Finally figured it out!!!!!!!
Here is everything I did........
-Swapped fuel pump off of a Ext. cab. older one seemed bad....newer is clean but shorter than the one I pulled out....my fuel gauge works now though!
-Swapped injectors from a 92 ranger...cleaner but still had problem....

Problem isnt in the gas.......
Fixed all my spark problems a month or two ago....bad ignition control module, one bad coil, new plugs, new timing belt, waterpump, oil change, fuel filter, pcv....blah blah blah

After all that work it turns out to be the EGR Vacuum Solenoid. After I figured out that the problem wasnt in the fuel system I moved on. I knew my spark was right.

I grabbed my EGR Vacuum Solenoid which had been hanging there left unbolted by PO and popped the cap off....looked a little rusty in there not too bad but I was worried. I held my finger over the vacuum hole inside of the cap and the motor tried to die.....kinda just like its been doin forever. So I unhooked the vacuum lines from the egr and blocked them off and the truck ran fine. Went and bought a new solenoid from Autozone earlier for $45 and havent had any problems at all so far besides my CEL popping on and off....gotta check the codes.

So if you read all of the above......in short dont forget about that freakin EGR Vacuum Solenoid..........I seriously never thought it could cause that but when the EGR has excessive vacuum applied to it the engine will die or try to die which is what happened in my case. THANKS for all the help!!!! :icon_cheers:

expotrek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Skillz- did you ever get this cleared up? I think mine is doing the exact same thing. and it looks like im right behind you. mines real intermittent and same thing if i shut the key off and back on it will be fine for a while, unplug the battery and its good for a while too. i already replaced the ICM, swapped out a different coil pack. it also seems like its related to the primary(mines under the ps pump on my 89) coil. it runs doggish all the time with that one unplugged, but with it plugged in its hit and miss.
I'd like to know what tells the computer to fire that coil, cause if i understand right the secondary is used for starting and also to help with emmisions but the primary only burns when the engine is running, mine wont start on the primary alone. with it off and on like that i wonder if its not getting the right signal to fire like it should..

expotrek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
okay so im the dumba$$ that didnt see page 2 but there's no vacuum coming from that selinoid. I have 17" or so going to it but hardly enough coming out to move the needle, of coures thats at idle when i can check it... thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals