• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Tempo, fuel pump not turning on with key.....

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
I just bought a 93 Ford Tempo, v6 5-speed with only 75K miles and brand new tires, only thing it needed was a power steering line, for a great deal, drove it home, an hour and a half away, no problems whatsoever. Next day I drive it up on wheel ramps to try to see which power steering hose is bad, letting it idle on the wheel ramps for about 10-15 mins. I shut it off after finding the right one, look up the part, I go to start it back up to back it off the wheel ramps, I turn the key and notice i dont hear the "hum" of the fuel pump, I think nothing of it and start it, it ran about 20 seconds, started to stumble and died. Turned the key several times, no "hum". Checked the Inertia Switch, no fuse on the fuse panel for it.....I'm confused, it started perfect the 10 times I shut it off on the way home from picking it up the other day (restroom, food etc lol) I'm stumped. Does anyone know were the fuel pump relay is? I had one go bad on my old ranger....any help would be appreciated...seeing as though my v8 Ranger just isn't "daily driver" friendly lol Thanks.

Last edited:

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump relay location (from alldata)

FUEL PUMP RELAY LOCATION
Located in the Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) at the LH side of engine compartment, near strut tower.

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Fuel pump relay location (from alldata)

FUEL PUMP RELAY LOCATION
Located in the Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) at the LH side of engine compartment, near strut tower.
if it is that...it's pretty much the "Brain"...I could always get a few from the junkyard and try some out....there's ton's of tempos/topaz's there

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
if it is that...it's pretty much the "Brain"...I could always get a few from the junkyard and try some out....there's ton's of tempos/topaz's there
Only other thing I can think of is your pump took a crap. Hit the tank with a rubber mallet. It works for Chevy fuel pumps.

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Only other thing I can think of is your pump took a crap. Hit the tank with a rubber mallet. It works for Chevy fuel pumps.
yea imma give that a try tomorrow. Stupid thing ran perfect yesterday, today, i put it on wheel ramps and let it idle inclined like that for 15 mins and now no "hum"...it was almost outta gas when i got it, but i filled it right away, I learned the fuel pumps in these cars stay cool from the gas in the tank...don't know if the pump was weak to begin with or not...grr, I got 6-7 electric fuel pumps, maybe I'll see if I can redneck fix it for now

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You could try the intertia switch again...I found mine had to be reset at times, but also the fuel tank pumps are NOTORIOUS for going wonky...at least they were on mine...and I had to replace it THREE times...\

A whack on the tank might help...as would opening the gas tank cap (I don't know why, but this worked for me on several occasions...especially warm weather)...the good news is that the pumps are not hard to replace...just be careful with junkyard swaps on them...because they could be there for that very reason...

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
You could try the inertia switch again...I found mine had to be reset at times, but also the fuel tank pumps are NOTORIOUS for going wonky...at least they were on mine...and I had to replace it THREE times...\

A whack on the tank might help...as would opening the gas tank cap (I don't know why, but this worked for me on several occasions...especially warm weather)...the good news is that the pumps are not hard to replace...just be careful with junkyard swaps on them...because they could be there for that very reason...
Yea I checked and re-checked the inertia switch. Tried the whack on the tank a few times- no workie. I'm going to the junkyard wednesday to see about getting a few relay boxes aka the "black box", just to eliminate that as the problem, people on tempo/topaz forums swear to check that first. Hope that's what it is, because I don't feel like spending 100 plus dollars on a fuel pump...

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
forgot to post on here an update, the fuel pump was bad, after tearing up the floor and replacing it, it runs fine, ildes a lil loopy sometimes, but i think thats just a sticky iac valve

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals