• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'93 Ranger thread...

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Grade 8 FTW!!!

If you need more clearance from the fire wall on the L/H side use locktight and cut the head off flush. That is if don't plan on useing the thermacter port again.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Grade 8 FTW!!!

:icon_rofl: Little case of overkill there, don'tcha think ? :D Motor will explode, but those bolts will be reuseable :icon_thumby: And yea, the EGR gas comes from a port in the middle of the intake on most 5.0's. The 351W truck motors EGR gas tapped into the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
If you need more clearance from the fire wall on the L/H side use locktight and cut the head off flush. That is if don't plan on useing the thermacter port again.
Thanks for the tip... it got me to thinking... I could have got a piece of 5/8-11 all-thread and cut a piece about an inch long and used a cut off wheel to make a slot on the end for a screwdriver, then screw it in using some loctite to seal it and hold it in there. It would be similar to the threaded inserts on the other end of the head, but solid instead. Hmmm, maybe next time.

:icon_rofl: Little case of overkill there, don'tcha think ? :D Motor will explode, but those bolts will be reuseable :icon_thumby: And yea, the EGR gas comes from a port in the middle of the intake on most 5.0's. The 351W truck motors EGR gas tapped into the passenger side exhaust manifold.
No... EXTREME case of overkill, lol :icon_rofl: I wanted grade 2, but all they had was grade 8, and only in a bag of 10. I should have a lifetime supply now :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

This quote is copy/pasted from a different thread that I didn't want to hijack...

The F-150 4.2 M5OD also had the SBF boltpattern, and from what I have heard the shifter is in a better location for a Ranger.

Did they have a VSS in the tailshaft? <--- If this answer is NO, then disregard all other questions. Does anyone know where the shifter would be located with this transmission? Anywhere close to the stock location? Would it shift like a truck or a car? What years F150 had these?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

This quote is copy/pasted from a different thread that I didn't want to hijack...

Did they have a VSS in the tailshaft? <--- If this answer is NO, then disregard all other questions. Does anyone know where the shifter would be located with this transmission? Anywhere close to the stock location? Would it shift like a truck or a car? What years F150 had these?

Pretty sure it won't have a mech speedo hole in the tail. The shifter is in the same location as the Ranger M5ODR1. These transmissions were first used in the 97 F150's with a 3.8/4.2 V6. Shift like a car or truck ? It's got gear ratios useful for a truck application, if that's what you mean.
(lower first, overdrive 5th)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
By shifting I guess I meant the length of the throw, some truck transmissions it seems the shifter has to move a few feet to shift gears :icon_rofl: My brother has a spare M5R2 from a Super Coupe, but he don't like selling his extra parts :temper:

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I beleive the m5od r2 was availble for many years, but the one with the shifter location that you speak of (stock Ranger) is the 1997 and newer 4.2 F150.
Some quick Google searching couldn't verify the VSS, although '97 and newer F150s did come with two options, VSS in trans, VSS from rearend... I just didn't narrow it down.

The giant shifter throws are likely a function of the length of the handle. With a Ranger-length handle, throws should be similar to a stock Ranger.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

I noticed that the timing cover was leaking water where it meets the front of the block. I managed to remove the cover and it looks like a 1 piece rubber gasket on the oil pan.

Questions...

Can I put the timing cover back on using the same oil pan gasket?

The timing chain had about 7/16" of movement on one side while the other side is tight. Is this too loose?

Do I need to loosen the oil pan to get the timing cover back on?

Does any type of sealer go where the timing cover gasket meets the oil pan gasket?

How do I get the harmonic balancer back on? Torque spec? Just hit it with an impact?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pretty sure it won't have a mech speedo hole in the tail. The shifter is in the same location as the Ranger M5ODR1. These transmissions were first used in the 97 F150's with a 3.8/4.2 V6. Shift like a car or truck ? It's got gear ratios useful for a truck application, if that's what you mean.
(lower first, overdrive 5th)
My brother's '97 4x4 F-150 still has a cable driven speedo. The only reason I know that is he was ticked he couldn't just reprogram it when he changed tire sizes. My '02 is all electronic, so I wonder if it isn't one of the things that got changed in the '99 facelift (when they also changed the cluster) All '97+ F-150's should have a VSS in the rear if not for the speedo for the ABS.

Something worth checking into, I had never thought about that in reguards to swapability. :icon_confused:

My new timing chain was pretty tight, the OEM nylon one was a really close to jumping teeth. For $40 a new Cloyes seemed like cheap insurance. Dunno about your timing cover/pan thing, I did mine without the pan on it and installed the pan after the cover was on.

Line up the keyway and tighten the dampener, if I am reading my homemade book right the bolt is torqued to 30-50 lb-ft. Gonna have to find a buddy to hold the engine from turning over.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
My brother's '97 4x4 F-150 still has a cable driven speedo. The only reason I know that is he was ticked he couldn't just reprogram it when he changed tire sizes. My '02 is all electronic, so I wonder if it isn't one of the things that got changed in the '99 facelift (when they also changed the cluster) All '97+ F-150's should have a VSS in the rear if not for the speedo for the ABS.

Something worth checking into, I had never thought about that in reguards to swapability. :icon_confused:

My new timing chain was pretty tight, the OEM nylon one Nylon? Mines looks to be a double roller, all metal unit... I'll have to look closer.was a really close to jumping teeth. For $40 a new Cloyes seemed like cheap insurance. Dunno about your timing cover/pan thing, I did mine without the pan on it and installed the pan after the cover was on.

Line up the keyway and tighten the dampener, if I am reading my homemade book right the bolt is torqued to 30-50 lb-ft. Gonna have to find a buddy to hold the engine from turning over. Lol, I'll have to wedge something in the flywheel or find some other way. I have no friends. Seriously.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Before:

After:

The gears themselves were coated with nylon (or some other kind of plastic) to reduce noise. When that plastic goes away things get baggy, plus chains stretch over time too. I could almost work my old chain off with my fingers. Mine was OEM, not a double roller.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Thanks for the pics and info. In your first pic it's kind of dark, but is that a link belt type of chain?

Here is what I've got... it's not as worn as yours, but I'll replace it anyway.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Line up the keyway and tighten the dampener, if I am reading my homemade book right the bolt is torqued to 30-50 lb-ft. Gonna have to find a buddy to hold the engine from turning over.
I thought Ford had completely converted all the speedos to electronic by the mid 90's :dunno: Funny though that they didn't and you used late 1950's speedo parts 40 years later :D The damper bolt is torqued to about 90-100 ft/lbs, not 30-50. In any case (5.0) do NOT beat it on with a hammer, use the bolt to cinch it in place.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Thanks for the torque spec, baddad :icon_thumby:

When cleaning my timing cover, I noticed it's cracked! UGH! I don't think it would leak water, but the crack is shifted... like the water pump may not bolt flat to it anymore.

I bolted the AOD to the block using some grade 8 bolts and high alloy lock washers (similar to the factory bolts on my 460/C6). I'm guessing the lock washers are ok to use?

The cracked cover with a line drawn where the crack is, and some pics of the motor and truck as they are now. The progress is slow, but with 3 babies and working 56 hours a week, that's to be expected :D

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You done right on both bolts and lock washers, but did you use bolts that thread as close to the bottom of the holes as possible ? That timing cover looks nasty, also looks corroded at the upper right hand side too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals