• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ford Explorer-Running like crap

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Ok then here goes...Bought my 93 Explorer Sport 2wd 5-speed 4.0. After a couple weeks, very once in a while while going up a hill or giving it a decent amount of gas, it would sputter a tad and hesitate a little. sometimes the CEL would come on, then go off when I got off the throttle. Then it started sputtering and popping at 3/4 pedal to WOT, so I would baby the throttle and it would run decently. Now...I start it and I idles ok, but has little power and almost sounds like its running on 5 cylinders (which it isnt, i checked the voltage to each one). So far I have: cleaned the MAF, replaced BOTH o2 sensors, dumped in fuel system cleaner, new plugs and wires, new water pump, new oem air filter. I'm lost as to what I can do. anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
It could be your throttle position sensor. A couple of years ago my 94 3L felt like it was running on 3 cylinders and the CEL would flash on and off. Went I would floor it, it felt like the other half of the engine would kick in. I sprayed inside the plenum with some intake cleaner and replaced the TPS, reset computer and it felt normal again.
Were would the throttle position sensor be on a 4.0? Im guessing its the sensor thing thats on the drivers side of the intake?

sluhbmet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I know how frustrating a crappy running 4.0 motor can be. I second the thought of checking out the throttle position sensor (TPS). Just in case you haven't found it yet, I thought I'd post a 95 Ranger 4.0 under the hood picture for you with the TPS squared in red. Hope yours is the same. It's not hard to get to, but the two screws attaching it can be in pretty tight. Make sure you use the correct sized screwdriver (tight fitting) and lots of pressure to break them loose without shredding the phillips heads. My Haynes 93-97 Ranger repair manual has a pretty good step-by-step TPS checkout procedure in it, and I don't even think you have to remove the TPS to test it. I would highly recommend investing in a similar repair manual for your Explorer, if you haven't already done so, to check components before replacing them (save some $$$). Just in case your Explorer 4.0 is not the same as the attached picture, disregard everything I have said because I am far from being an expert. Good luck... :icon_thumby:

sluhbmet

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Ok then th sensor looks exactly the same as it was on my old 2.9, I also have a. Lille extra tps sensors from my 2.9, are they the same? Just wondering because inhave quite a few lol

sluhbmet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In short, I don't think they are exacly the same. I looked at a couple of parts websites (rockauto and oreilly) and I could not match up any of the available throttle position sensor part numbers for your 93 Explorer 4.0 to any year of Ranger with the 2.9 engine. They may look similar, but the connector and/or internal resistance measurements will most likely be different. Again, I'm kind of a novice at this Ranger repair stuff, so if one of the "higher-ups" says anything different, be sure and heed their advice.

A couple of thoughts:
1) Most auto parts stores have the ability to test a TPS for you with a couple of alligator clip wires and Volt/Ohm meter. Call around to your local auto parts stores and see if they might be able to help you. You might have to pull it off and take it inside for them to test it though. No biggie... I just don't want you to waste money on a part that might not be defective.
2) As mentioned in my previous post, a Haynes or Chilton's repair manual is a handy tool in troubleshooting and repairing problems with these vehicles. Just before I went to bed last night I remembered that most public libraries carry one version or another of these repair manuals that can be checked out if needed.

As always, Good Luck.

sluhbmet

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
here's the vacuum line that was unplugged, I couldnt find any place were it would plug in, but I didnt see any so i I just plugged it

its right next to the passenger side of the intake, next to the oil filler neckh

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
I went to a friends garage and got my system scanned, and the stored codes read "MAF Signal too weak" so does that mean its no good? or can it be fixed? I don't have the money for a new one

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Go to wrecking yard and get one

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Go to wrecking yard and get one
thats what i was thinking, i cleaned mine already, and there wasnt any difference. I'll clean the connectors with Dielectric grease and see if that does anything...if not ill get one (or two) from a yard i go too

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
That vacuum line might go to that fuel switch hiding beside the intake towards the front of the engine. And for the life of me I can't remember its name right now.

Its hard to spot and goes damn near under it.

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
That vacuum line might go to that fuel switch hiding beside the intake towards the front of the engine. And for the life of me I can't remember its name right now.

Its hard to spot and goes damn near under it.
Yea I'll take a other look and see if I see anything

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Well here's a good update. I found were the vacuum line goes! It plugs into the other end of the line that plugs into the airbox. So thats solved. Also I went to the junkyard today and got a used MAF from another 93 explorer sport. I unplugged the battery, installed the junkyard MAF, waited 10 minutes, and plugged the battery back in, started it and.....success!! it runs alot better than it did, now I can drive it up a hill in 4th again. The pipe that connects to the 2nd cat was cracking, and that fell off, so I took the cherrybomb and piping after it off until i can "rig" something in the near future, but I dont care about that at the moment, I'm glad its running better. Not 100%, but its not a new car also.

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
well now the left exhaust manifold gasket is blown out, so I have to get around to replacing that...

Last edited:

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
well now the left exhaust manifold gasket is blown out, so I have to get around to replacing that...
There was never one from the factory...good luck not breaking the bolts. A one hour job can easily turn into a one day trying to remove the broken bolt(s) in the head.

pxbacher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Cologne 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Lucky bum. Maybe I need to try another MAF in mine...

-Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals