• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 2wd new to uneven road, my what a rough ride!

macx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I moved 2 weeks ago, now am driving a nicely not busy 2 lane for 32 miles, but most of it has a pretty uneven road surface. Not rough, but quite uneven.

I am already sick to death of the constant side to side violent rocking this produces. A rough road is bad enuf, this frequent side to side pitching is
downright irritating. 40 minutes of it morning and night are going to be unendurable for 2 years.

Any way at all to at least soften this a little? Such as variable rate front springs that are softer at the beginning of the compression?

I don't suppose there's any way in the world, short of a full frame and suspension transplant, that would allow the use of either of the later front suspensions? I see both of them use rack n pinion. I'd be willing to do the work if it was do-able.

I'm amazed Ford designed such an abortion and that people continued to buy them for so many years.

Thanks for any tips !!

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Twin I beam has it's flaws. Doesn't mean it totally sucks. If you want a the a-arm suspension of the later model years, you are best off buying a late model Ranger. There would be no easy way of putting an a-arm suspension on short of cutting the whole front part of the frame off and welding the replacement in. I guess what I really should say is, go ask the guys who run air ride on their trucks who have changed out their front suspensions to the a-arm style. They will be of more help if you really want to change your front end. If you are just doing for the sake of ride comfort, go get a different truck or just deal with it. That's just my $0.02.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Might just be easier to even out the road lol. J/k anyways wish I could help but better tuned shocks would probably go a long way.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ive always loved the twin i-beam front suspension. nice and solid while still being a good ride over bumps.

get some new high quality shocks and some OE aluminum wheels. the lighter weight means less unsprung weight for the shocks to control and makes for a smoother ride.

i suffered from the same thing driving 120miles daily then i got some aluminum wheels with brand new tires and new shocks all around

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bilstein 5100s FTW!!!!

macx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The truck came with aluminum wheels and I put new shocks on - nothing fancy, but ones I've had good luck with before on other vehicles for having a decent ride.

I was hoping there'd be something relatively simple like progressive rate springs that could be swapped in.

Oh, well.

Thanks for the input.

macx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did a search for progressive springs, few and far between for stock height Rangers!

Found these Moog springs at Summit, by the looks of them they actually should be progressive rate.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOG-CC868/

Not overly expensive and the easiest to do. Very likely will give those a try.

Now HERE is one I'd love to try -

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Air-Ride/Air-Suspension-Kits/CoolRide-Front-Air-Suspension-System-_-ARF5004/554459/

But it's kind of "rich" for a low-buck 93 Ranger.
I do have an 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (with a well warmed up 351 Lightning and beefed 4R70W & stall) with the stock Lincoln
air ride and I absolutely love air ride - have driven this car over 150k and still love the air ride. Rides really nice and handles
well.

And back in the erly 80's I had a small over the road outfit that ran air ride on our big rigs - tractors and trailers. Absolutely no
comparison to spring suspension!

Now if I could find a "replacement" or generic air spring with about the right dimensions, I don't see why it would be so hard
to adapt it to the otherwise stock front suspension. Just would have to be tall enuf and not too big a diameter. Wouldn't
take too large of a one to support the lightweight Ranger. Might have to fashion a spacer to make them tall enuf like the
one in the kit, above. The thing with air ride, it's easy to adjust the height within a several inch range without substantially
changing the handling or ride. That would solve the camber problem that folks trying to raise or lower an I-beam suspended
Ranger encounter. Measure the stock height before removing the stock springs, pump up the air springs so it sits at the same
height, check your camber to make sure, and hook up a gauge showing the correct psi and just keep it pumped to that psi.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't suppose there's any way in the world, short of a full frame and suspension transplant, that would allow the use of either of the later front suspensions? I see both of them use rack n pinion. I'd be willing to do the work if it was do-able.

I'm amazed Ford designed such an abortion and that people continued to buy them for so many years.

Care to elaborate? I'm only aware of one later suspension design that being SLA used in the 98+ Rangers. Easiest way to get it is buying a newer ranger, though I realize that for you this isn't the ideal/desired option it had to be said. There's only two ways to put this under an earlier Ranger. First is section the frame and add in the front clip, which will pretty much require tearing apart the entire front end of the truck. Second depends on your truck, if your 93 is an extended cab it is possible to swap the frame, it'll be a little more disassembly/reassembly work than a clip swap, but wouldn't require cutting and welding the frame. In short it is doable but will require quite a bit of work and down time for the truck either way it's done.

I definitely wouldn't call TIB/TTB and abortion. It was a very tough, very reliable suspension design that did for well for many years. When properly set-up and used it can also perform pretty well. I had an 84 2wd that was mostly a street truck and did daily driver duties for years. I did feel some of what you are describing, but not near as bad as you describe.

My first question is what kind of condition is the suspension in? (IE: Bushings, Ball Joints, Tie Rods)

Second have you checked your cab mounts?

Finally what does the truck have for sway bars?

First thing I'd look at is making sure that the suspension is up to par. If anything is loose up there it could cause the tires to wander which will magnify small irregularities in the road. I know that the shop probably checked your ball joints and tie rods last time you took the truck in for an alignment, but it can't hurt to double check. (unfortunately I can't recall the procedure for checking the on the TIB) I'd also check your wheel bearings, to do this jack up the beam on that side. Once the tire is off the ground try to shake the tire, and feel for any play, I'm pretty sure you'll notice it if their is any. I'd check the radius arm bushings, the best way I've heard of checking this is literally try to move the beam forward and aft with tire off the ground. I've heard of people being able to move the axle enough that it leaves a gap between the forward radius arm bushing and the bracket. The axle pivot bushing can also wear out causing problems, but I don't really know how you can check that one. There's got to be a way I just don't know it. If you find anything that's worn replace it, this'll tighten up the suspension and make the TIB work the way it should.

Then I'd look at the cab mounts, both the bushings and the frame mount points. The rubber can rot out and deteriorate which will allow the cab to rock more than it should, once again magnifying smaller surface irregularities in the road. These trucks are also bad about having a cab mounts on the frame rotting out. If the cab isn't solidly connected to the frame it's just as bad or worse than a rotted out bushing.

Finally I'd look into sway bars. I'm sure your truck came from the factory with a small front sway bar, most did by that time. My 84 came without any sway bars. That's when it really liked to rock all over the place with any little bounce or wave in the road. I started out in the pick-n-pull looking for a front bar for mine (it has a different mount style than 89+ rangers) and couldn't find anything. Since I had to buy new anyway I went straight to the biggest aftermarket bar I could find which was 1 1/4 inches. That made a huge difference in the way the truck felt and handled, but that was nothing compared to when I added a 1" rear bar from a BII. That rear bar tied everything together and it went from a small boat on the ocean to riding on rails (exaggerating of course but that's about how it felt). If you do have a front sway bar I'd check the end links to make sure they are still intact and not loose, some are made of plastic and like to break. If it were me I'd hit a few local junk yards and get the biggest front sway bar I can find from a Ranger, BII, or Explorer. On the front anything after 89 should fit until it went to SLA suspension, just compare the end links and if they are the same it should work. For the rear you probably don't have one, and will probably get your greatest improvement from adding one. I believe that any rear bar from 83-current will fit. I think the largest rear bar the ever came from the factory is a 1 inch bar that can be found on some BIIs, it's what I had on the 84 to match the big front bar. I think you will want to keep the diameter of a rear bar smaller than the front bar or else it will become too tight and try to spin out on you a lot more. I don't know the details on matching sizes front to rear, just what worked for me.

FYI after the sway bars and a good set of shocks (don't remember the brand) the 84 rode better than my 99 SLA. Granted my 99 is a 4x4 with torsion bars, but between the bars being decranked and sagged, I constantly got compliments for how good and smooth the ride was compared to many other t-bar SLA trucks. Both my dad and I though that the 84 also rode almost as good as the 02 2wd (coil sprung) Ranger he had, and we both though it handled better. IIRC he had around 50K on it when he traded it for a 4wd. So IMO a TIB can be made to ride and handle pretty nice.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am already sick to death of the constant side to side violent rocking this produces. A rough road is bad enuf, this frequent side to side pitching is
downright irritating. 40 minutes of it morning and night are going to be unendurable for 2 years.

Thanks for any tips !!
My tip would be to man up, shut up, and get used to it. You drive a truck, it is going to ride like..... ready for this... A TRUCK!!!!! Not a flippin Cadillac. You want a baby smooth ride down a bumpy road, go invent a hover car.

You want realistic advice, get some kick-ass shocks, something that costs at least $100 a piece.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you decide to try the springs try these instead: MOOG CC866

Like the ones you posted there are progressive (variable) rate springs. The difference is the CC868 is designed for a 4x4 suspension, the CC866 is designed for RWD which means it should be a little softer ride. They are available from summit as well under the part number AMGCC866, and cheaper there than at Advance Auto.

I was thinking about trying those myself, but when I totaled it the 84 was still running the stock springs. I may get them for the 86 I'm rebuilding, but right now I'm waiting to see what the ride height will be. I have a set of 2" drop springs I'll use if it's not low enough with the 3" drop beams and V8. If I like it with stock springs I may get the progressive rates, so if you get them please post up a review.

My tip would be to man up, shut up, and get used to it. You drive a truck, it is going to ride like..... ready for this... A TRUCK!!!!! Not a flippin Cadillac. You want a baby smooth ride down a bumpy road, go invent a hover car.
While I like your advice there, it could be a sign something really is worn out under there and needs to be fixed.

ive always loved the twin i-beam front suspension. nice and solid while still being a good ride over bumps.

get some new high quality shocks and some OE aluminum wheels. the lighter weight means less unsprung weight for the shocks to control and makes for a smoother ride.

i suffered from the same thing driving 120miles daily then i got some aluminum wheels with brand new tires and new shocks all around (So what actually caused the improvement? Better yet, what caused the problem? Bent rim, bad tire, or blown shocks?)
Bilstein 5100s FTW!!!!
You want realistic advice, get some kick-ass shocks, something that costs at least $100 a piece.
I agree that to get a good ride you gotta get a good shock, but I fail to see how a shock is going to help in this situation. What he's experiencing is good ole body roll. A shock is designed to dampen shocks (quick hard blows) to the suspension, not resist the slow compression and extension caused by body roll. The best way I know of to do that is by first making sure your suspension is in top shape, then installing something (or upgrading it) to counter body roll. Best thing I know of for this is a sway bar. While stiffer springs can work they also make the suspension stiffer, which can make the rider harsher as a side affect, granted I'm not sure how that will apply to progressive rate springs.

I'd really start by making sure that your suspension (bushings, ball joints, etc.) is up to par. Then check you cab mounts and bushings, looking for excessive wear deterioration, and broken mounts. Follow that up with adding, or upgrading you sway bars. Unless something is bad in the suspension, I honestly think you will find your best improvement with this final step. You may even want to try that last step first (I did), but be aware that it could accelerate wear on other parts of the suspension that are already on their way out.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals