• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'92 Ranger XLT radio not working [FIXED]

StoicAtol21445

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a '92 Ranger XLT w/ a standard cab and recently replaced the stereo the previous owner had installed. I installed an OEM stereo (or at least the one that *would have* come with the truck).

The tape deck works fine and plays tapes. The problem is with the radio. When in FM mode, it doesn't even pick up any static, just silence. With AM, it's mostly static, but can pick up some stations just fine; but when the headlights are in, the AM (don't know about FM) has an off and on buzzing noise similar to an electrical short.

It might just be some blown fuses or something, I haven't won't be able to check until tomorrow, but if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have a '92 Ranger XLT w/ a standard cab and recently replaced the stereo the previous owner had installed. I installed an OEM stereo (or at least the one that *would have* come with the truck).

The tape deck works fine and plays tapes. The problem is with the radio. When in FM mode, it doesn't even pick up any static, just silence. With AM, it's mostly static, but can pick up some stations just fine; but when the headlights are in, the AM (don't know about FM) has an off and on buzzing noise similar to an electrical short.

It might just be some blown fuses or something, I haven't won't be able to check until tomorrow, but if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated!
Check the antenna connection at the back of the radio.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome to TRS. I also like having a stock radio, and have restored stock radios to several of my trucks.

It won't hurt to look at the antenna, but AM is a lot more picky about having an adequate antenna than FM. If AM works but FM doesn't, it's likely going to be an internal problem with the radio.

AM working but having noise at times could be an internal problem also, but AM is more susceptible to electronic interference, such as the truck's ignition system (and lightning, power lines, UFOs, nuclear bombs etc.).

Check that your hood is grounded with a strap, like this factory ground strap on a 1st gen Ranger:
IM001889 DS.jpg

The hood keeps the ignition interference from going straight to the antenna. If the hood is not strap grounded, it could be grounding / ungrounding through the hinges and latch (with vibration from truck movement and the running engine), and being picked up sporadically on the AM band like you describe.

And check that there's a noise suppression capacitor on your coil, like this one a '94 dual plug 2.3L:
23 cap.jpg

These items are mainly for improving AM reception. I hope that you find a simple fix, but it's probably just old age catching up with radio itself.

Good luck!

StoicAtol21445

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome to TRS. I also like having a stock radio, and have restored stock radios to several of my trucks.

It won't hurt to look at the antenna, but AM is a lot more picky about having an adequate antenna than FM. If AM works but FM doesn't, it's likely going to be an internal problem with the radio.

AM working but having noise at times could be an internal problem also, but AM is more susceptible to electronic interference, such as the truck's ignition system (and lightning, power lines, UFOs, nuclear bombs etc.).

Check that your hood is grounded with a strap, like this factory ground strap on a 1st gen Ranger:
View attachment 94447
The hood keeps the ignition interference from going straight to the antenna. If the hood is not strap grounded, it could be grounding / ungrounding through the hinges and latch (with vibration from truck movement and the running engine), and being picked up sporadically on the AM band like you describe.

And check that there's a noise suppression capacitor on your coil, like this one a '94 dual plug 2.3L:
View attachment 94448

These items are mainly for improving AM reception. I hope that you find a simple fix, but it's probably just old age catching up with radio itself.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice! There is no grounding strap or noise suppression cylinder, but I can get on that soon. It seems that removing the radio and putting it backed in fixed the problem with the FM not picking anything up.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Far out! That's good to hear, and congratulations!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals