• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ex 4.0 to 87 BII 2.9 swap

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since I plan to keep my dash, does anyone know if it's best to modify the 4.0 engine/computer harness to match up to the BII dash harness, or the other way around? Or is it more a combination of both?
I guess I just don't know exactly which connectors I'm need to splice.

Yeah, 4.0BII, I'm gonna need ya to dis-assemble yours and do the photoshoot. This weekend would be good for me. ;)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
It's basically all 4.0 harness under the hood; except driver side firewall area where the dash wires go in. That's where all my wires are connected for the dash.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If it helps I did a 93 to 87 ranger swap, I have to dig out my notes. I have photos and notes I can post when I get home.
If you need copies of the EVTM let me know.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ronclark, That would be very helpful! Thanks. All of it, please.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Here are some photos

Here is what i did.

1 Removed all the wires i did not want from the 93 Explorer harness like lights and ABS.
2 I made adapters to go from the Explorer harness to the truck harness, for one i hate splicing harnesses and two encase i ever wanted to do something else in the future i don't have take all the splices out. most of all the wiring is on the left side of the truck
3. I make sure you use the fuel inertia switch from the Explorer other wise you have to slice that in instead of being plug in play.

I did use the relay/main fuses on the Explorer harness since i figured it would be easier to get everything working and in the future i can use the unused fuses and relays for other things.

I thought i got a better photo were all wires come together, well i get one next time i am by the truck.

I'll have find my notes what on the wires well if nothing else i can go and look in the truck and write them down.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Here are some photos of the EVTM if you need more just ask. but I think that covers that you need

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
^^i've gotta get me one of those!

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I got both of my EVTMs off ebay fro like 30. thy are sure handy

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I got both of my EVTMs off ebay fro like 30. thy are sure handy
i have haynes and chiltons books for both...but its not as good as the EVTMs

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I think both sucks, but thy do help. I really want to try to get shop manuals.

I found some a 87 specification book. lots off cool info in there how to do code VIN's, color decoder, alignment data, lots of cool info like that.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ronclark, that looks really well done. I like the adapter idea, for the same reasons you mentioned, too. The EVTM pages are VERY helpful. Thanks!
I don't know exactly what notes you have, but what I kinda need is something very similar to what is posted in our tech section, as well.
In one of the 4.0 swap tech pages, is a page where we are shown that 4.0 harness, plug # xxx green wire goes to BII harness plug#xxx blue/white stripe wire.

I know it would take some time and work, but would it be possible to do this for your application?
Personally, I'd kinda like to see that for every 4.0swap combination, since it would make most of our anxieties about this swap go away.
Thanks!

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Ronclark, that looks really well done. I like the adapter idea, for the same reasons you mentioned, too. The EVTM pages are VERY helpful. Thanks!
I don't know exactly what notes you have, but what I kinda need is something very similar to what is posted in our tech section, as well.
In one of the 4.0 swap tech pages, is a page where we are shown that 4.0 harness, plug # xxx green wire goes to BII harness plug#xxx blue/white stripe wire.

I know it would take some time and work, but would it be possible to do this for your application?
Personally, I'd kinda like to see that for every 4.0swap combination, since it would make most of our anxieties about this swap go away.
Thanks!
The notes i have are what color wires do what, for the 87 to 93 explorer. I am not sure how far off it will be for a 92. but maybe someone has a 92 explorer EVTM could get me some copies. it would not take me long to compare to what i have and replace it with the 92 colors.

Oh forgot to say if you have a pick in pull. that is were i got the hardness connectors with pig tails off both rigs. i'll try to get a photo this weekend what my adapters looks like. i spent the time solder them and shrink tubing them.

Know that i remember i had to use the newer y pipe and cats, i got off a 93 ranger. My 87 thy did not want to match up right. I am guess the explorer would be the same as the ranger.

On the manual trans i made the miss take using a 96 slave since it was a 96 trans. well that makes for a hard quick throw. I forget what years will match up to the 87 slave.

I have to say the 4.0 is lots of fun, i really wished i had time to rebuild it before i did the swap, but at 150k is what the guy said it had. it seems like a strong runner.

Since you have the whole rig your swap should go so much easier than mine did. I just could not get a deal on a whole rig, so i had to piece it all together. between CL and junk yards, i always needed some little piece

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm Ok, ronclark, if you could post your notes, then I may be able to use that to translate over to what I need. It would at the least give me a real good base to build on.

I'm going to do the adapter idea. I'll pull the pigtails from my explorer, and I think rather than cut up the harness on my 2.9, I'll go get another to use. I do want the option available to go back to a 2.9 easily, in the event I have a problem.

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Here are the 92 Explorer 4.0 EVTM diagrams if it helps any.

There are a few annotations from my notes but should work.

Also included is the EEC block diagram which does not have color codes but gives you a good overview idea of how things work.

There is also starting, ignition and power distribution.

I have figured out each of the 92 Explorer connectors for my swap as well that I can post if wanted. I'm not sure of the pin numbering sequence, just did it my own way.

-Stephen

Attachments

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Protowrxs, thanks! The files on the EVTM diagrams is very helpful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals