• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 ranger won't start

pdmesser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I popped the clutch to start my truck couldn't get it to start by jumping it. It ran and then I turned it off and couldn't get it restarted. Battery wouldn't hold a charge, replaced it.
Tried starting and got 1 click. No lights no gauges working, nada, nothing. checked fuses, all look good.
HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!
I need my little truck working.
Patricia

Joesplace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can you check if the replacement battery is above 12.5 volts, if so from my "arm chair" it sounds like if the rely clicked that is ok, so something is causing a dead short, and I assume you do not have a starter kill alarm, you may try unpluging the cluster with a large wire from the alternator (top), it will be hot so don't touch to a ground. With a battery with 12.5 volts see if it will now crank. If so have a supply house check alt.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
dont try and run it without the alternator hooked up, its not good, and the electrical system wasnt designed for it. This is the wrong way to do a charging/starting system diagnoses. FIRST, make sure the new battery is charged, anything less then 12.5 is undercharged. If the new battery was good whne you put it in, but dead the next day, then you have a somthing called a Phantom Drain. This means that when the ignition is off, somthing is drawing a lot of current, at least 1-2 amps but if its dead within hours, then its prolly much more then that. YOu need to get yourself a DMM, set it up to measure amps on the 10A scale. Dissconect the battery and conect the DMM is seriese between the negative battery cable and the negative post on the battery. This will show for sure how much amperage is being drawn with the key off. There is more to this test. If you understand things so far, lemmie know. It almost sounds that the regulator in the alternators gone for a poop, or somthing is coming on intermittantly that shouldnt.

egnorant

Reaction score
Stuff to check

First check the battery cables...both ends.
My first thought was that you had a bad connection that fried the poor connection.

Bruce

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals