• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 2.9L 4wd automatic prepurchase inspection

slamdstorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm most likely going to be purchasing a 1990 2.9L automatic 4wd w/ electric shift extended cab ranger the first of the week. It shows 86,000 but I assume it has rolled over at least once. It was pouring today so I didn't even get her up to highway speeds before heading back. I'm wanting to find out what are some of the common issues seen with this version and what would make you pass up buying it. I've never owned a 4wd and am looking at it being a daily driver of about 5 miles asap.

Was told the last time in 4 low he had a heck of a time getting it out and sadly I don't remember what he said he did to get back to 2wd. I also don't remember if it has manual hubs or auto. Said 4 high has no problems so gonna test it first after highway and then finally 2low.

Said on occasion it won't start and he has no clue why. Popped battery in it and it fired after 3-4 seconds cranking and a pump or two on the pedal. Fired back up twice after test drive. Idles smooth and nothing noticable during drive. Are the injectors, in tank fuel pump and fuel pressure regulater interchangable with an 87 2.3L ranger? Already verified 87 injectors working and the regulator on it is new.

Windshield wipers don't work which is why it was a short ride but could be just a fuse. My concern is an electrical problem in dash. Anyone know if wiper wiring runs near 4wd switch or wiring back there? Radio, lights, and heater work fine. Would my 87 wiper motor swap out if need be?

A heads up with high dollar items that commonly go bad on the 2.9 to check would also be helpful. I know the 4wd info I have right now isn't much to go on but I can handle 2wd till I get it home and some time. The final question is would my 2.3L and 4 spd w/OD manual tranny slide into it in a crunch without having to change out rearend. Thanks for your time and help

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Biggest potential problem is the auto tranny. The A4LD is not the strongest. While shopping for my current B2, most for sale with autos, needed transmission work. Budget $2000. You mentioned popping in a battery. Has the truck been sitting for a while? Most 2.9s get parked because of a cracked head. If the coolant level is real low, its a good bet there is a bad head gasket or cracked head. With the electronic 4WD, it should have the automatic hubs. Let us know the outcome of your shopping.

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
The 4LO issue could be the shift motor on the transfer case. Those are the #1 reason for 4 wheel drive issues. Could also be the shift computer itself. I had to replace that on mine. My 4LO is currently not working, and I think I've troubleshot it to the speed sensor (different from the speed sensor for the speedometer) in the transfer case, which is a hard to find $80ish part. Also, fwiw, to get in and out of 4LO you must be in neutral with your foot on the brake. But I'm guessing the owner would know that.

As for the A4LD, I'm not super thrilled with it..but it's not aweful. Though saying that, I have parts in the mail for a shift kit and replacing some other parts on it asap. Lost my 4th gear/overdrive. Which is either a sticking valve or a bad 3-4 shift solenoid I assume.

One thing I didn't check was the rear leaf springs. One of mine was cracked bad where it wraps around the hangar. My own stupid fault for not checking that.

The starting issue could be a fuel pump? I think I have that issue. Sometimes, usually when it's cold out, it won't start on the first crank but will fire immediately on the second crank. Gotta pull the bed or drop the fuel tank for that. I'll get to it this summer hopefully.

I don't think the wipers and 4x4 switch wiring run together. The wiring to the 4x4 switch runs direct to the shift computer, behind the driver side back jump seat.

I've been pretty well in and around this thing since I got it last fall so if you need help locating something let me know.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals