• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Ranger 2.3l turbo summer project?

DerekG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Been a while since I've been on here! How's everyone?
After someone breaking into my Bronco and stealing my graduation money out of my wallet (I know, stupid mistake for leaving wallet in my car) and like $400 dollars worth of tools and busting out the rear backseat windows that cost $550 each, I decided to trade my buddy for his 89 Ranger. It's got the 2.3l and a 4speed transmission. Looks like that engine should belong in a Pinto! Anyway, this summer I'm looking for a project. So I did a little research and seen a couple people that had the little 2.3l turbo'd. I'm not looking to run amazing pounds of boost, maybe around 5 or so psi. The engine is in good condition, stock internals.. for now. I'm going to also do more research on the 2.3l turbo engines out of the SVO Mustangs. If I could find one of those, damn I would be set! Anyway, I've ever done anything with turbos before but I'm going to start now. I'm not to familiar with this engine but it looks pretty simple from the get-go. Any heads up from you guys to any big problems I might run into? I know the fabrication of the turbo manny is gonna be a pain in the ass from the start, but any insight from you guys? Thanks alot.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
this should be in either the turbo section or the 4 cylinder section, the peanut gallery in the general board might get their panties in a bunch...

Anyway, search craigslist as turbo engines are out there (I picked up two mostly complete engines for $250 a couple years ago). An '89 is the same as the '90 my truck started out as. My suggestion is to do your best to get forged pistons, and for the cheapest and easiest setup use as much stock turbo 2.3L parts as you can as it will be the most reliable. If you aren't wanting to change anything internally or electronically you are going to have to stick to 5psi and step up an injector size or two... there are turbo manifolds for these out there, and headers too that are set up to work with air conditioning.

If you did a search in the forced induction forum from 2008 to present using my user name you might find some interesting information as I converted my truck in late 2008 and just rebuilt the engine about 6 months ago

Cameron1

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you are doing a straight swap, one of the best things you can do is get a running donor vehicle, that way you know everything works and you have everything you need to make the swap a lot easier.

It is a nice and simple project, and has been documented really well. Do research and make sure it's something you can do and feel comfortable with, and have fun with it!! I am in the research and proposing and parts searching point of my project, a 2.3T street truck.

Have fun and post pics and ask all the questions you can think of to make it easier and smoother for you!!

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I have some advice.

Research!

Read!

Ask questions!

Read more!

Research again!

The reason I give this advice is because some people do the turbo swap one way, and they'll tell you to do it the exact same way as they did. However, it may not work out for you and your project goals. So; read, and read all that you research; and ask questions to anyone of whom has already done the swap. Make sure they are knowledgeable on the subject, because if they aren't, then you will just be wasting time. Also, the more you read, the more you'll understand about what makes sense, what will work, and what is bullshit (there are still some people who've done the turbo swap and still don't know what they're talking about).

Oh, and I reiterate reading so much because some information for the turbo swap is hard to find and sometimes incomplete. So, the more you read, the more you'll understand about what is missing from articles and such. This also gives you more leeway to ask questions, and ask the right questions.

Are you sure your transmission is a four-speed? And when you mention that the engine looks like it came out of a Pinto, you're right. It was designed in 1974 to be used in the Ford Pinto as an economy engine. That is also why it has a rubber band timing belt; it's cheaper to manufacture, but still just as reliable (at least I believe it to be).

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's another thing I was going to mention, if it's an '89 with a manual transmission it will be an M5OD 5 speed manual transmission unless someone swapped something else in...

DerekG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies and advice, fellas. I'll be making a build thread soon, so keep watch. I'm 100% sure the transmission is a 4spd with overdrive. (5th gear being overdrive). It might be swapped. I've been looking on craigslist for a parts car, but no luck so far. I'm going to try some junkyards soon. I'm taking the advice on the forged pistons, and am upgrading more internals soon. Was contemplating running some spray for a little more fun offroading, after I think the engine's ready for it. Turbo swap is def first on my list though. I'll keep it all posted.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
4 with overdrive is still a 5 speed... that's the M5OD, figured that's what you meant. Don't be swayed by the others that say the T5 is the only way to go, I've beaten my M5OD behind my turbo engine for a while and rebuilt it a few months ago and it didn't really look all that bad (needed synchro's as it had about 250k on it)

justinlb917

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey just a tip replace the timing belt if it has one those engines are interference engines and if a timing belt goes you will have hell to pay.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Where are you from? Theres a turbocoupe for sale near me, hes been trying to sell it for a while.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
hey just a tip replace the timing belt if it has one those engines are interference engines and if a timing belt goes you will have hell to pay.
the 2.3 is a non interference engine, but an '89 should be replaced every 60k miles to avoid being stranded, '92 or '94 they switched to round tooth belts which are said to last up to 100k before being changed

I'll also throw in a "where ya at?" as for the right price I might be able to be convinced out of some of my spare parts...

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Stock pistons in the 2.3T are going to be just fine for whatever build you have planned, unless you're thinking of going past 20 psi a lot.

Like I said, do your reading and researching, or you'll otherwise come up with a bunch of information that conflicts with other information.

Haha! Concerning transmissions, any forward moving gear is factored into the "X-speed" number. (Somehow, it reminds me that I drove a "three on the tree" truck from the 70's when I was learning how to drive. Now I want to drive it again...)

Be sure to go with a stock Turbocoupe or SVO setup (or even a Merkur XR4Ti or Cougar XR7) before you do much else. Keeping the motor and engine control stuff at bone stock will help you understand what the possibilities for improvements could be in the future.

DerekG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Late reply, been working a lot lately for more cash to spend on the project. :)
I live in Michigan City, Indiana. Sucks up here. :/ Used to live in Charleston, WV. Whole lot different compared to here, haha. @scott, if you're anywhere close-ish, that'd be great if you could help with that. I'd pay shipping, whatever, etc. Anything to make parts more available. And @zman, where are you located? I cannot find any SVO's or coupe's anywhere. I'm going to start hitting the junkyards more, keeping my eye open for anything. And also, thanks for correcting me with the transmission. Know I know. :) I'll keep you guys updated, build thread is coming as soon as I get a hold of anything forced induction. :D

WhatUpIGotABig

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got what chu need...

I just sent an Xr4ti to the scrapper. It was an engeneer maintained rust bucket. Engine is complete and has about 95k. Turbo went out and I just found a replacement. I completely dismantled it and have all harnesses. If your interested please call me. I am in Michigan. 313.529.9304

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals