• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 ford ranger starting issue

Dodge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I have a 89 ford ranger 2.9 I replace fuel pump assembly and every relay, including ignition switch and ignition, ecu, fuel pump relay and eec relay. On the ob1 port for fuel pump test if I run a positive to that and jump the fuel relay it will fire and run but with out doing that it will just crank over. The eec relay will click without anything jumped just quietly. Any help or info on direction I should go or things I should try would be great has me stumped

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OBD I test port for Fuel pump relay is a GROUND.

Wiring for fuel pump relay is like this:
Battery----------EEC Relay----------fuel pump relay(coil)--------(test port splice)------Computer-----Ground

So the fuel pump relay's coil gets 12v when key is turned on, but has no GROUND so doesn't close.
Computer Grounds the relay for 2 second to Prime the fuel system but it won't come on again until engine starts(above 400rpm)

The test port slot for the fuel pump is spliced to the Computer wire so if you GROUND that test port slot the fuel pump relay should click(close) and Fuel pump should start, assuming key is on and relay's coil has 12v

If fuel pump relay doesn't work "normally" but does work when you GROUND the test port slot, then most likely the computer has a loose or bad ground wire.

If GROUNDING test port doesn't get feul pump relay to close then EEC relay is not sending it 12volts with key on, usually a bad wire.

With key off and fuel pump relay removed it's base should have 1 slot with 12volts, this is the 12v power for the fuel pump, it should be live 24/7
When you turn on the key you should now have 2 slots with 12volts, the 2nd slot is the 12v from the EEC relay.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals