• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 BII

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Ultras are heavy duty? Hmm... Did you get the actual specified HD shocks or just assumed they were heavy duty? I thought the ultras were just a better model of the regular shocks.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Ultras are heavy duty? Hmm... Did you get the actual specified HD shocks or just assumed they were heavy duty? I thought the ultras were just a better model of the regular shocks.
It's been about three years, I remember them being sold as the heaviest duty shock from Gabriel for the BII.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's been about three years, I remember them being sold as the heaviest duty shock from Gabriel for the BII.
Oh ok. They have probably come out with new models since then, I'm gonna get the ProGuards. Autozone is having a sale, 20% off if I spend $100 or more and the shocks cost $103 and some change, so I think I will go ahead and order them. Just noticed they have free shipping too so :yahoo: Just decided I'm gonna go ahead and get the ds interior door handle I need as well.

Edit: Just placed the order, one step closer to getting my baby ridin' smooth :) (or at least smother than it is right now... pogo stick level)

Last edited:

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just checked the tracking number and the shocks are already out for delivery :icon_surprised: That free shipping wasn't joking :headbang:
I don't think I'll be able to start today or tomorrow unless I get off work early. If that's the case then I might go up to my grandpa's shop on sunday and see what I can do. Only thing I'm worried about are the nuts and bolts for the shocks. Would they sell the proper ones at a local hardware store/ home depot?

Last edited:

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They just came in :icon_hornsup: I might not have work tomorrow but I'll have to see, if not then I will go ahead and start the process. I will have all day (11:00 - dark) to work on it, so hopefully I can finish. Worst case scenario I will do them Sunday. Saturday is my birthday and I have to go take the ACT test :bawling:
Does anyone know what size bolts and nuts I will need for all 4 shocks? It would be nice to go get them before I start the process because I won't be able to leave once I start.
Just for fun - https://gyazo.com/92b51aa9cb7f9a0ac9db06653935af32

Gonna get soft on you guys for a minute. I appreciate all the advice and information that people have given me thus far. If it weren't for you guys and this forum, I would still have the bronco bone stock and not be enjoying it as much as I am today. I started out not knowing a thing, when I found out I was getting the truck, my grandpa asked me, "Does it have a V6 in it?" and I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. Now, thanks to you guys, I am slowly (very slowly) bringing the old gal to her former glory.

Now that I got that over with, time for some ideas on what I plan for her next. With these new shocks, I am hoping to smooth the ride out a good bit, but I know new leaves/coils are what I truly need to get the smoothest ride. The coils and leaves that I have been looking at are from JFB, just the stock height ones. The cost of the actual products isn't too bad, it's the shipping that's killer. Any advice on other stock heights that won't have $100+ shipping?

Last edited:

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Didn't get much done, ended up working until 3:00 and I need to drive tomorrow or else I would've went ahead and started.

The new handle came in before I got off work so I decided to go ahead and install that, ended up having issues. A rivet holding one of the little gears in place was too long, stopping it from going in. Grandpa came by so I gave it to him, he's gonna take it home and grind it down a little bit then bring it back tomorrow.

I might start working on the shocks tomorrow, I'll just have to see how time plays out. Just looked and we are supposed to get rain tomorrow and Sunday :annoyed: I'll see what I can get done, I'll post when I get them finished.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The thing with coils/leaves is that they are heavy, so most anyone is going to charge quite a bit to ship them.

You could save yourself some money and get some Explorer leaves.

If you have Amazon, they'll ship new coils for free. -> Click me

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Seems like everyone is telling me to get explorer leaves but I'm trying to get all new stuff that will last for a long time, rather than getting used parts that are already worn. I can't afford the coils/leaves yet anyways so I have some time to think on it.

Was browsing Craigslist earlier (tend to do that often just out of curiosity) and there is this guy selling a 93 explorer 4wd 4.0 for $200 :shok: Says the tranny is out and has issues which doesn't bother me too much.
Problem is, he's 2 and a half hours away and I don't have that time or resources to spare. Would be an epic buy if I was able to do it :dunno:

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Didn't get home until 4:00 so I didn't really get anything done. Grandpa ground down the rivet, got the handle in with some force. Works better than when I got her. My door panel has just been flapping all over the place, the little plastic fasteners broke, went to Autozone to get some but they only had 1 container (6 fasteners). I got it anchored down for now but I'll go back tomorrow or something and see if they have some more. Still planning on doing the shocks tomorrow which will be fun. Just remembered, I saw some nuts and bolts at Autozone so when I get those out tomorrow I'll just run over there and see if they have the right ones.

Ran to the gas station before Autozone, ran into some old buddies. They admired the bronco a little bit. One of 'em was talking about how it's one a them little broncos :icon_rofl: Said his brother has an fsb with the 5.0. He was bragging about his little toyota with new tires :headbang:

Keep editing because I remember things. Does anyone know where I can get just the trim piece that goes around the door handle? Need it for the driver side.

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know where I can get just the trim piece that goes around the door handle? Need it for the driver side.
Ebay... seen lots and lots of them over the years.
like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Ford-Ranger-Bronco-II-Interior-Door-Handle-Bezel-Trim-/112288802713?hash=item1a24ef2799:g:kOsAAOSwa81XSlBg&vxp=mtr

Oops... you have a 89 those wont work. LMC has new Bezels for $.95 each on page 16 of their catalog.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/full.aspx?Page=16

Last edited:

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think I asked this before a while back and nobody responded so I'll do it again.

If I drive the bronco for a while, let's say 20 minutes, then I shut her down, do what I need to do (10-15 minutes), when I go to start her back up she runs really rough at idle. Don't really know how to explain it, feels like she wants to die but keeps on going. Sounds really funny too. If I drive for a couple minutes it starts to run normal again. My guess is overheating, I am planning on changing the raidator fluid tomorrow. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might put a real gauge on it and see what it is actually doing for temp.

Changing coolant probably wouldn't hurt but I doubt it will fix anything.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Might put a real gauge on it and see what it is actually doing for temp.

Changing coolant probably wouldn't hurt but I doubt it will fix anything.
Yeah the coolant doesn't look too bad, slightly darker than normal. It was probably changed right before I got it but that's been a few thousand miles.

Where can I get a temp gauge and how do I use it?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When you take the cap off, how far down is the coolant?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals