• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 2wd prerunner-options

89rangerprerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok just got my new truck. i want to turn this thing into a prerunner. if you had 5g to spend on the suspension what would you do? i will probably have close to 10 to spend on it but i need a cage, seats, harnesses, wheels/tires, fiberglass etc as well. this truck is a completely stock 89 2wd supercab 2.9. thanks in advance for your input

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i would cut and turn the beams or get extended i beams and for the back you could do either a 3 link setup or go with international leaf spring pack and mount the shocks through the bed

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
10g's total keep it simple.
to cage a truck tip to tip(bed cab motor) atleast 3 grand.

seats, fuel cell, fiberglass all new 1500-1800.

Shocks new 2.5 resi saw's,kings,bills,fox , 1400-3000 .(smooth bodys run about 350-430 ea,coil overs about the same, but you have to add in the slider kits, collars,seats150ish and springs $80ea x4 ruffly 700ea,bypass shocks,850 ea

rear end 1100-2500 for a 9inch or explorer 8.8 with gears spool/locker

just stuff,brakelines,pitman arms,bearing's,heims, oils, 5-points,limit straps,$1500
good pair of rear springs, deaver, national's etc,$700 new

rims, if you keep the ranger lug pattern you can reuse the stock rims if they are the 15x7's...if not wheels start at 70 each on a avg. 15x7's work great.
70x4 $280

tires, new set of 33's bfg's,toyos,goodyears,maxxis etc,dont go cheap on tires. 3ply side walls are your friend. $700

a couple of spare tires & rim's...100-500?

so were at about $7300 going on the budget based side of things.

add anouther 500 for just stuff,relocating the battery, new tie rod ends, drag link,rotors,drums, caliburs, misc bushing's,tabs,beer,something for the wife if you have one lol,etc.
so $7800,and still no front end....

3 options I see.

dave, at threat motorsports makes a extend 4.5 or 5.5 overforged beam set up.think that runs about 1600 and will need the coil overs.
explorer 8.8 would be a good match for this set up, keep your track close to even.

stock width bent beam extened radius arm set up and keep it on some good coil springs. $1400ish

stock width forged bent beams, plated over, stock stubby radius arms, that are modified and plated in, a good coil spring once again. proably run about a 1100ish
use the extra 700 towards a currie 9inch housing. and have a dam near bullet proff truck.
if you go this route skip the fiberglass hood,and use that money to have the firewall "tubbed" back in the foot well area for tire clearance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals