• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 89 2.3 Sparks when bolting antenna back on. Also the alternator light is on.

MaD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So when bolting antenna back on it threw some sparks, is that normal? In the pic. Also the alternator light is on but the alternator seems to be charging the battery tho... I think. Maybe related? The alternator was replaced in 2017 by the previous owner at a mechanic shop, there was paper work of it in the truck. I also changed the pigtail because it was rotted a bit. The battery cables are old, i want to replace em but i haven't been able to find similar ones. Could the light and sparks be related?

17108118515291208839867859396588.jpg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Not sure why there would be voltage to the antenna from the stereo, that's an odd one...

On the battery light, when it's running what's the voltage doing? It should be in the middle of the range on the gauge or with a meter somewhere around 13.2V, the battery light goes through the regulator and is part of the key on circuit to energize the regulator, ignition supplies battery power, engine not running the alternator supplies ground but when working correctly voltage so the light is out (if I remember right, it's something like that). I had a NAPA replacement alternator go out on me after 8 months so new doesn't mean good, in '89 the alternator has brushes, if the commutator is worn or one of the two brushes wore faster or got stuck you'll get the light...

Reactions: MaD

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The battery cables are old, i want to replace em but i haven't been able to find similar ones. Could the light and sparks be related?
It sounds like you've got bad ground. There is no power related to the antenna, just a braided ground for sheilding and the open antenna wire. If you're getting "sparks", an arcing, then something is trying to ground through the antenna sheild.

The radio (especially if it's aftermarket) needs to have its own chassis ground wire.

And, fix the old main cables from the battery to the engine, body and chassis.

MaD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Okay! There is an aftermarket radio, i don't have that tool to pull it out. I'll see what i can do. I'm put the cables a priority. If i remember correctly my pops checked the voltage before and it seemed fine. I'll call him tomorrow, I'll recheck the voltage tho. I just ordered a battery/alternator tester also. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals