• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Running wierd-burning electrical smell

powerplantranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 88 sat up for about 6 weeks. I started it up a few times and just out of habit with the boat, I put some Sta-bil in the tank.

Anyways.. Driving into work the other afternoon, it started to feel like the was nothing there. I pushed the pedel it hesitated slightly and it found it's b@lls, but if i held it there or let off the slightest bit it started to almost stall. The tach never flucuated from where it's normally at at that given speed until i got on the gas, to which it would accelerate to speed and begin to surge up and down 500 rpms. In the parking lot once put in park it stumbled a bit, but recovered and idled fine. I did notice the tailpipe was sooted black and before its always been extremely clean. I tried pulling codes later that evening, but the check engine light would light up and as it did it's "test" the light never came back on until I removed the key. I started to notice a burning smell associated with electrical on the passanger side inside!

When trying to get KOER codes it idled perfectly.

Well, I drove home. It continued to do the same thing. What I did notice was the transmission shifted fine(auto) and it didn't stumble or surge under hard acceleration, only when holding speed.

I haven't done anything to it yet since it's been home, it died when backing in the barn! I'm gonna try to pull codes, again and see if it works. I have no idea what it could be. The burning smell is what is concerning me, like I said it seems to be coming from the passanger side inside the truck. Of course I don't think it's a coincidence either.

Throw a guy a bone here..:dunno:

P.S. I have pulled codes before, that's why this annoys me even more!

Eric

masterelyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but I know the PCM is located under the kick panel on the passenger side, maybe it's something wrong with the electronics in there? See if you can locate the smell?

cavedweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Your underhood wiring and your exhaust system,anything touching?

powerplantranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Still trying to get some time to dedicate to it, but I did take off the passenger kick panel. The smell seems to be coming from what I guess is the computer! Ok, what is my next move once I get some more time.

masterelyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wish I could help you more but I'm no expert on this kinda stuff. Everything I've learned about my BII is from asking questions on this site :p

Millster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I wish I could help you more but I'm no expert on this kinda stuff. Everything I've learned about my BII is from asking questions on this site :p
Just to throw a couple of ideas at you, here. If the smell is coming from the area of your ECM, while that COULD be the problem itself I would check the relays under the hood first. On the passenger side, the one closest to the firewall is for the ECM power the one to its immediate right is for the fuel pumps. If either of those is weak or the wiring to one of them bad, it could cause a burning smell and the symptoms you describe, as the pumps would be cycling in and out.

If they both seem good, check the wiring to your fuel pumps. Could have a bad ground which would cause things to heat up. My truck is struggling with fueling issues having had the ignition module go out about 6 years ago and sitting for 2 years before I figured out that was the problem. In that time, I've tracked all through the electrics and have found that with a stumbling engine and a burning smell around the ECM or relays, it's been something on the OTHER end of the wiring causing the problem. A bad pump once which did not ground well on replacement which took out a fusible link...
I think you get the idea.

powerplantranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I forgot to mention, when starting, it does a wierd thing. When I turn the key it cranks fine, but once the key is released it takes a second or two before the engine is up to speed, almost like an old diesel that's been sitting for a while. I also "think" I heard the fuel pump running when I walked up to it before starting it, it was that or the tank was pressurized for some reason. I started it before looking.

Now remember, it idles fine once started, it only seems to have issues off and on under load.

:dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals