• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.9L No Fuel pressure, only 7.5V through the inertia switch

BillRod

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95=4.9L Others=4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, No matter How I use the ohm meter I have virtually no resistance between the neg battery post and pretty much every where else on the truck. Front Frame, Body, Block, Rear Frame, Cab, you name it seems to be good.

351rangerxxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
best way to test ur ground is to put a load on it. use a headlight with one terminal to the postive post of the battery and the other on the part that you want to check ground at. a ohm meter uses such a small amount of current that a hair wire can make it show good but it can't carry any real world load.

BillRod

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95=4.9L Others=4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info, I did not realize that about the ohm meter.
I'll give that a try and see how that works.

Thanks
Bill

Mysticcook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello long time lurker. This site has been a big help!!! Had a similiar problem with a 86 ranger. I would start with the volts issue if your batt has 12+ volts then try testing your coil. its my understanding that u need 12 v at fuel pump relay (green one)I would have to go look to see which wire. cause if thats not getting 12v than u start looking at eec relay(which u replaced)ignition switch,coil
The power goes ignition switch, computer, coil, assuming good ground.computer fires up pin 22 which gives power to fuel pump relay then inertia switch then gas tank.
just my 2 cents very basic overview ignition module gets thrown in there rigtht after coil but a place to look.

BillRod

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95=4.9L Others=4.0L
Transmission
Manual
FOUND IT!!! :yahoo:

I pulled the front pump an found the ground spade connector on the wire side was cracked and barely touching. Replaced the connector and reinsalled.
Tried it again and Nothing!

Traced the power wire up to the harness under the master cylinder and found a funny connector, kinda looks like an old fashioned barrrel fuse holder, pulled that apart and had continuity between there and the pump end. Put the ohm meter between the other end of that connector and the connector by the FPR that goes to the intertia switch and No continuity.

Unwrapped the harness by the Master Cylinder and lo and behold there were broken wires! The wire to the pump was broke.
There was actually 7 wires that were totally worn through and 2 that were almost totally worn through.

Got out my soldering iron and heat shrink tubing and now the truck runs again!!! :yahoo:

Thanks for all the advice and help on this.

There is now a new issue but I may post that in a new thread if it does not recover on it's own.
Since the truck has not ran in a month there is a pretty good lifter noise.
I have started it 6 times and each time it gets a little better.
It always had a small tick that went away when it warmed up, so I'm hoping the noisey lifter will just slowly pump itself back up and recover on it's own.

Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

Thanks again!
Bill

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FOUND IT!!! :yahoo:

It always had a small tick that went away when it warmed up, so I'm hoping the noisey lifter will just slowly pump itself back up and recover on it's own.

Holy crap Bill...I'm glad you found it because I was starting to get a tick!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals