• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger fullwidth 79 d44

jmidd2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im leaving my axle full width for stability . ive done the research but not much on the trac bar or full width swaps. so would an adjustable trac bar for an early bronco or a full size be a better option?

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
About all I can tell you cause I'm still in process of info is this. If your going coils you need to space out the upper buckets about 2 inches. I have seen some have used full width and others made the track bar.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
or flip the lower seats inwards.

depending on your particulars, you can mod the oem bar to work or incorporate the mount point si it works unmodded.

i have used the hd explorer long steering link to hook to the oem fullsize tierod with the oem steering box and used another one for an adjustable trac bar a few times.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I flipped my lower coil retainers, spaced the coil buckets out about 1.25" and used the stock track arm. I cut several inches out then beveled the ends, welded it up and sleeved it with dom tube. Haven't had any issues. I have thought about buying the ruff stuff kit and building one to make it look better.

Brennin Spencer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
FWIW I am pretty sure if you mount your trac bar in comparison to the location of the mount on the original vehicle (same distance from the axle) you should be able to go off the recommended one when you buy a lift for that vehicle (what I have been planning to do on my swap) I have found a ton of options just pick the one you like.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh how I love to come running when I hear "fullwidth" :) Not hard to space the buckets or flip the retaining bracket. I honestly didn't like any of the other ideas about moving the mounts inboard on the axle, it seemed like more work.

Track bars are easy. You can do like Rowdy did and sleeve the stock bar or you can grab a heim kit for 60-70 from RuffStuff, a few feet of DOM tube for around $10-14 per foot, and then the hardware and however you'll make your brackets. RS even has the trackbar kit for ~100+.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Rowdy can you post a pic of how you flipped your seats inward, in the middle of doing it,

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
This is the best picture I've got right now. All you've gotta do is spin the retainer 180 deg and bolt it back down. One coil may line up with the seat better on one side or both sides. Check the fit before you clamp your coils back in because it may cause one or both to bow if they aren't lined up.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do you think flipping the retainers and using EB coil buckets from James duff for fullwidth would work, the buckets space 1.5 away from frame, ive heard you need to space 2 to 2.5 inches?

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I don't see why not but if you wanted to save some money you could build your own adjustable coil buckets like I did. I just threw mine together to go wheeling so they aren't pretty but they cost me all of about $20 between the metal and gas to cut them out.
You can space them as far out as you want and make a 5" lift coil ride at just about any height you want at 1.5" increments. I used stock 79 F-150 buckets, 1/4" flat steel and 4- 1"x1/2" bolts for each bucket.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Where did you find the 79 buckets? And I don't have torches and hate cutting with a grinder but I'm also cheap lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals