• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger 5.0 swap

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Passenger side exhaust almost done

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up a heater box and a newer style crossmember for $35 I didn't think that was bad and then a pair of warn lock outs for $40 a piece

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For anyone still reading this, I got my explorer 8.8 in today and the newer trans cross member, just need to finish up exhaust, get my heater blower motor box to fit right and then drive shafts and eventually front axle swap but it's slowly coming, stripped all the sound detaining shit off, figured out that is just a rust tap, got the flow down to bare metal and then painted

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Pretty much got my shifter and interior buttoned up, need to get a couple mor bushings for the shifter, I didn't want to buy them all at first with out know if my plan would work,

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Went to the junk yard got a rear drive shaft out of a 86 f350 and it was a perfect fit, put new u joints in and took the flange I had from an old bronco drive shaft, every time I break out the hammer and sockets I swear I'll spend the $90 for a ball joint press

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Good progress, but uh, you got a couple wires hanging :D

SVT

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, just a couple, most go into an ignition switch, to me it was easier to go with a universal ignition then the stock one, also I paid $24 for a damn u joint, only one I could find that I would have that day, it went from a 1330 to 1310

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got my Dana 28 out and got my 35 all torn apart waiting on bushings to put it in, really wanting to do a jeep sas but I already have a Dana 35 here, going to try to get a front CV yoke for my 205 at a junkyard tomorrow I hope to be driving it in a month or so, also put in new motor mounts, I would imagine that would be nearly impossible with out dropping the front suspension

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Keep it coming!!! I know the 2 areas I'm going to have trouble with and lots of questions are how to hook up the C4 transmission/ Borg Warner 1350 transfer case linkage and wiring the new 302. You're doing awesome man. :beer:

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hooking it up won't be hard its the tear down of the c4 to swap output shafts and tail housing but luckily c4s are probably the easiest autos to rebuild, and thanks it's taken me allot longer then I have planned but part if it has been my fault

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well finally drove the truck, after about 8 months, it was great it was only a 100 yards but still, open headers are a little loud gotta do something about that and get the small stuff buttoned up

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2 steps forward 3 steps back in a way, I put all new oil in everything, which is good but something was hanging up in the rear end, the inner brake pad is hanging up and not sliding also the e brake stuff was so I gutted the e brake I also noticed when I had one wheel off the ground I could spin it, so I'm guessing my trac lok clutches are worn

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well got my brakes figured out I'm going to the junkyard tonight to see what I can get for a fan I'm thinking either contour dual electrics or some sort of mechanical I have to measure and see, I burned out some shock mount brackets for the rear axle today

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also picked up a dual fan from a contour anybody have any easy ways to wire this thing?

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Gotta figure out how I'm mounting the fan and have to find where to mount my shocks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals