• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Bronco II towing

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
from what i hear it runs but i would think i would have some issues at the border if i was driving a us vehicle across il look into it more

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
ok did more reseach so it would have to be trailed because i would be declaring this vehicle for parts since if i didn't i would have either a 1000 or 2000$ tax added because of its fuel economy and once i declared it parts vehicle the car automatically gets titled as a non-repairable vehicle.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
tow the b2 with the explorer till youre within a few miles of the border. stop, unload and reload with the b2 towing the explorer to cross the border. after a successful border crossing, reverse procedure and tow b2 with explorer the remainder of the trip :D

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This time it will be--Canadian Mounties VS. Import Violators.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
another option: rent the smallest U-Haul or equivalent truck and also a tow dolly and pull it back with that. probably more expensive than a plane ticket to fly down, but at least it won't destroy your rbv!

good luck.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I didnt read all the posts, but the exploder tranny needs to be in neutral in the t-case. Otherwise you will have issues, Maybe even remove the drive shafts. (this is the route I would go). With this and a two wheels dolly you should be fine. Just be careful. You will havemore problems through wyoming than montana.

Almsot forgot some of uhauls bigger trucks will fit a exploder inside.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
v8, automatic, 3/4 ton at LEAST. don't be on the news

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what gears u have?

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know this thread is old but was wondering about towing a car 10 to 15 blocks with a 87 b2 with 1997 ford explorer leaf springs in back.

The car is a 01 eclipse GT with blown transmission in it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
do it. I've towed heavier things farther with my 87.

Last edited:

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just hope i can get a car dolly from u-haul and they won't ask to many questions.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
way to revive a old thread lol. i was looking and thinking damn that title looked fimiliar. but yeah towing it short distances shouldn't be a big deal.

I never did get that exploder because the guy decided not to get a new truck.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I figure why open a new thread when it has been discus before and brought this thread back alive again.

At least you save some cash not going up there and getting that explorer. And having to deal with customs.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
2.9l ranger vs 2.9l bii towing

I have out of necessity chosen to tow a couple of things that I probably shouldn't have. I was moving to Orange County from the greater Seattle area and my wife's 86 Ranger (single cab, long bed I) gave up the fight just north of Bakersfield. We all jammed in the 87 Ranger, finished the trip and I went back the next day with a tow dolly. I didn't know not to use 5 gear (which later reared it's ugly head) but had no trouble maintaining highway speeds until the Grapevine. I did my best getting over that and then rolled the rest of the trip to Irvine without a hitch. I later had problems with 5 gear, which were directly contributed to this tow.

I tow a 750 lbs, over axle flat trailer routinely with the 87 BII with two, 500 pound ORV's loaded with tools and gear. Before I tried it I installed the big Explorer Radiator, dual James Duff shocks all around, ECU chip, and a fresh rebuild on the 2.9l with performance and specifically torque in mind (port/polished heads and intakes, delta cam, increased ratio rockers, rocker spacers, balanced debured and polished crank, balanced .03" over with MSD ignition, new injectors, rebuilt A4LD, with an extra large second tranny cooler and a larger main cooler and new torque converter). This was uneventful but I kept it at 2,500 RPM the whole time and still do. It doesn't get hotter than normal and transmission fliud burnt in minimal. I have since incorporated an Explorer 8.8" rear and D35 front and Explorer rear leaf packs. The stability alone from the wider axle is worth it but those axles are very solid feeling from the drivers seat feel. By the book it should be able to handle an extra 800 pounds if memory serves (the 8.8 and the Explorer springs). The BII was rated at towing 2750 or something incredibly low, so even with all the changes to the engine, transmission and suspension I do this at my own risk. I was able to make it from Seattle Wa to Medford Or and back without a hitch. Like I mentioned I don't use Overdrive and keep the engine RPM @ 2,500 to maximise the usable torque. The positive side was I managed 24 mpg and had no problems other than a couple of highwayers (who may have never towed anything before) wanting me to drive faster, occassionally.

Overall, I need a full sized diesel for my towing needs; until someone makes me buy one, I will continue to keep the RPM @ 2,500, keep the weight to a minimal and prudently tow with my BII and Ranger, sucking up the occasional transmission failure and subsiquent rebuild.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals