• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 ranger stalls Help!

mike86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well i have a 1986 4x4 ranger with the 2.9L FI and when its cold it runs ok (sounds like it misses) then after it warms up it sounds like it runs out of gas then wont start back up for a few min..

I replaced

Plugs
Wire
Cap
Rotar
Distributar
TFI
Re did the vaccume lines
check fuel press
check vaccume press

Couldnt find a fuel filter on it, There is a fuel pump on the frame rail. I was about to drop the tank and re do the whole fuel system Also i thought about relocating the TFI as it might be getting to hot?? idk... No codes come up.. No lights on... It just stalls like it runs out of gas...

Im lost and im a auto tech...

Millster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Grab a box-end spanner and give your ECU control relay a couple solid taps while the engine is running. I'd about bet anything your engine will die (or falter). I've been through all you've been through there and had no results until I happened to see someone else having issues with the relay. When I rapped on mine, the engine would consistently falter in a method similar to what it does just before stalling.

Unfortunately, I cannot say for CERTAIN that replacing the relay is the whole solution because the replacement relay I purchased was completely TU when I put it in. I ran the engine until it finally died in typical style and hopped out to slap the new relay in. Change completed, I excitedly dove in to start it and got nothing but cranking. When I put the old relay back in, it started right up and ran for about 10 minutes before dying again.

In any case, it seems to be the issue since once the old relay cools down it fires back up. I'm just not sure where to say to get a new relay since the one I bought was totally bunk.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Your fuel filter should be in the frame rail up towards the engine...I couldn't find mine either when I first got it.

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Give us some more details; how old is your O2 sensor? The ECU ignores readings from it until it warms up. That can give you some problems. What are your intake and 2 wire coolant temp sensors reading? Did you check your fuel pressure regulator by pulling the vacuum tube off of the rear of it while running, any fuel dripping from it? I think that you may get "okay" fuel pressure readings even if it's leaking a little? None of the parts that you threw at it so far have been in vane because those are normal parts to wear out and cause issues (especially the TFI). Maybe the TFI you got is defective. Those TFIs get hot as shit BTW. I made the mistake of touching the back metal part of one while the vehicle was running (I knew that they got hot, but they get exhaust manifold hot!). I think that the relocation deal is more of a preventative maintenance thing to make it last longer, but I did mine just to be safe. I cut a computer hear sink to the size and shape that I needed and then cut a small rectangle in the lower part of the airbox for the heat sinks to stick through. I then drilled and tapped two 8/32 holes into the heat sink, spread a thin layer of thermal paste on it, and mounted the TFI to it. It seemed like the coolest and closest place to mount it.

Last edited:

mike86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I dont mind putting parts into it. I just want to figure out the problem. Its been 95 with 65% humity today and yesterday so i havent been out to work on it,, Im planning on checking into your info tomorow.. Thanks

weenie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
replace the fuel pump

these rangers were outfitted with two fuel pumps one in the tank and another on the frame the fuel pumps in the tank go out before the frame its about $50 from the autoparts store and a few hours of to install

r_rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
FYI, not all of the 86 rangers have two fuel filters. Mine only has one located before the high pressure fuel pump. I had problems with the truck jerking hard at high RPM. The filter was black. I replaced it, and that fixed the problem. Took me four parts stores before I found the right filter. All the others had the wrong gasket. NAPA auto parts had the right one. Not that this may be the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals