• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86' Chevy D30

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
I know you Ford members but I need a non-biased opinion. Does the 86' D30 come with a reliable diesel engine and trans? Is it turbo?

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My buddies dad had one in high school and he liked it. I don't know much about it, but I know it wasn't turbo.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if its a 6.2l, its gonna be severely underpowered but it should be pretty reliable

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
C30?

Yes and no. It's a 6.2 diesel. It's non-turbo unless it was added as a kit. The tranny is excellent.

These are weak without a turbo. It will feel pretty stout in town if you are used to a gasser. A gasser has to wait for air to move when you toe the throttle. The diesel already has all the air it needs and when you toe the pedal it's an instant squirt of fuel and it will jerk you back and feel really gutsy. But it's bullshit. Without a turbo, the show is over. 150hp with only 3 gears and a trailer is dangerous in traffic. I've had to merge onto the Indy beltway with a trailer in rush hour, coming on the uphill ramp from 74E and there is a wall along the merge lane. You make it or you wreak. My truck was 155hp stock--on a 6,000# truck and an 8,000# trailer and it would not accelerate. I ran out of ramp and then the people behind me were scattering as best they could as I eased into traffic. When I got home I ordered a Gear Vendors to add a few gears, and found a Banks kit on Ebay. Merging is no longer a problem.

I definately will not own a naturally aspirated diesel for a tow vehicle again. It's better than a gasser, except when you need an extra 50hp and some rpm to merge. In my experience, a 350 Chevy is worse milegae on an identical trip than a naturally aspirated 6.2, far worse. But when you need emergency war power, the 350 is there. Adding a turbocharger to the 6.2 gives you even better efficiency, and a lot better power than the 350. Those are from direct comparisons.

The other part of it is that 6.2s have a bad reputation that is not deserved. People that own gas motors and transition to diesels without understanding the differences can have problems. For instance, a 21.3 compression diesel doesn't start in the winter like an 8.5-1 gasser does. You have to make sure you have the block heater functioning and a battery maintainer warming it overnight if you are going to see 20 or below. And then you have to realize the fuel can flake on you if you have a non-functioning fuel heater. And you have to realize that diesel fuel leakage is a problem and that the resulting air in the lines can be merry hell to deal with. It's the way these things are. If you get one, learn about it and make sure you don't end up mad because you were expecting it to be like a gasser. Once you understand the animal, it's easy to care for. If you think you can dig a couple old Wal-Mart batteries out of the barn, charge them, put them into a truck you haven't driven in a month and it will just start up--forget it. You can do that with a gasser. Diesel don't like to be neglected. Seals and hoses will dry up and become air leaks. A hot-air ignition engine needs lots of cranking speed, functioning glow plugs and fuel.

There are other rumors of cracked blocks and broken cranks and such. Most of these show up when they are rebuilt. Some may have failed in use. I don't know. I was in the marines from '86-'96 and we liked them fine. The two I have had since both still run great and both were boosted and pulled heavy loads.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the very specific information Will it is very much appreciated. the only reason I brought this topic was that the government has about (10) 86' "D30" with camo and everything with miles ranging from 20k-58k with bids starting at $1500. But I don't want a slug thats for sure so I'am going to look into a Banks Turbo kit to see how much I can get one for and if it would be better for me to do that or to get a 90's cummins, IDI, or powerstroke.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals