• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 2 wd build nagging problems

Ga Leroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am well into placing a 95 mustang 302 engine (EFI) and c-4 trans into an 86 2wd ranger. I have run into a few problems that leave me scratching my head for ideas. First, the rubber joint on the steering shaft is rubbing the header. Is there as better steering shaft than the original? Or, is there a different universal joint that isn't as big in diameter?

Sighman

04/2011 & 04/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't have this issue, its close (1/2 inch) but not rubbing. Can you "massage" the header tube thats rubbing? What headers did you end up with? I have the headman shorty's and while they are not the best they seem to work just fine fine.

The James Duff site says you might have to work on the steering so maybe someone on here can pipe up and tell what they did.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What headers are you using ? Shelby Tri-Y's clear the steering like they were made for it. Ditto for the Hedman Shortys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
What motor mounts did you use? Is the engine centered when measuring between the fenders?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I could swear some of the old build ups/tech pieces on this forum spoke about swapping the steering shaft with a Windstar or something.
I had no issues at all with an Ibeam truck, Tri-Y headers, Mustang mounts.

My brain tells me the maybe older truck had a larger joint?
Dig around the forum, or browse some pictures to see if there is a simple swap. Only thing off the top of my head is that a manual box uses a different spline, so keep that in mind if you're swapping.

Here's an old shot of mine, tons of room, even with that cover on:

Last edited:

Ga Leroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Steering shaft

I used advance adapter headers which fit inside the rails just fine and they look good. The mounts are Trans Dapt # 9736 from summit. Looking at where the motor sits, it is actually slightly more to the passengers side by about 1/2 inch. The problem is with the flex joint in the shaft which is about 2 1/4 in in diameter. I can get the shaft in place but the rubber joint is too close to the #1 cylinder exhaust. My fear is that it will make the rubber brittle and break into when turning. If the joint was a couple of inches higher or lower the problem would be solved.

Ga Leroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey thanks for the info. I got the part numbers also. A little expensive but it will work. Thanks..

Ga Leroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
gauge and speedometer conversion

The original tranny was a manual shift with a geared speedometer cable. The C-4 has the speed sensor that supplied the electronic dash and the computer in the 95 mustang. How can I attach the old cable and leave the speed sensor in place to feed the computer. Also, how can I wire up the gauges (oil, water temp, and alternator output) to mate with the original truck gauges?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Earlier Rangers had (up to at least '92, my 1991 had it) a VSS that also had a cable going through it. Fox body Mustangs also had this on Cruise control cars, likely the same part number.

LMC truck has them, as would any parts store.

As far as gauges, just plug your Ranger sensors into the new engine.
I used my stock Ranger alternator harness, it is seperate from the engine harness.
You can use your stock one, or the Mustang one. Whatever will fit your alternator easiest.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals