• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 2.9 tune up n now no start

86beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
A simple cap, rotor, plugs n wires swap n now nothing. I took everything out at once and didnt mark the cap assuming that a diagram for firing order would fix me up. Well ive hooked every wire up in all positions forward n backward. It did start but backfired and ran awful in one position but every other one n it only turned over. Its getting plenty of fuel, any suggestions??
These r the diagrams i followed
5-8E35-E706BA8B9A8E.png.html]
[/URL]

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is
its the right firing order

86beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I did get it to fire but runs poorly n sputters out. Backfires as well. Weird thing is that the wires on the cap r 2 steps over meaning the #1 plug is in the #2 position on the cap n then the firing order as follows in the diagram. Still clueless

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
get the engine to TDC on compression stroke and pull dist cap. Rotor will be pointing at number one plug unless you figured out how to get the rotor on backward, LOL, or pulled the dist.

Wire from there. Engine doesn't care what the book says, it just wants the #1 plug to fire when #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke (maybe dist was pulled by PO and put is one plug off and wired accordingly).

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can also use a timing light. find the wire that shows TDC. Use that tower for #1 cylinder and set firing order from there. If it dont start rotate the wires 180 degrees and it should start. Once you get it running pull the spout jumper and check/adjust timing to 10-dbtdc

86beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thank u for the info. I didnt mess with the distributor. Just a simple plug n wire swap thats kickin my ass lol...shoulda just marked the cap before i yanked everything out

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I allways just leave the wires on the old cap and replace the new cap and rotor and then swap the wires one by one.

86beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Got it going. Pulled the #1 plug n had my girl crank it with my finger over the spark plug hole to get close to tdc. Turns out that the distributor is rotated 180 degrees. Wired it up n bam it fired right up. Ima still have a buddy check the timing on it tho later. Appreciate the info from those of u who chimed in...lesson learned on marking the cap first!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals