• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 2.3l FI timing confusion

Dustinicus

Reaction score
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was running a timing light on my pickup and found that it's base time was something around 20 degrees of advance, but when i would throttle it, it would pull timing out, and the more and harder i rev the engine the more it would pull to the point that it would have maybe 2 degrees of advance

I am pretty sure that a naturally aspirated engine should start at something like 12 degrees and go up to 25 or 30 degrees. Can anyone explain this?

The EEC module has the GA1 code. I have done searching online for this particular module to no avail, and cannot find any information on it.

Any information that someone might have on this would be great, jsut trying to understnad it is all.

Thanks,
Dustin

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Don't mess with the timing unless the engine is fully warmed up, as it is/should be fixed at 10 BTDC until the computer takes over. If you remove the SPOUT connector, the computer lets go, and the timing should be manually set (turning the dist) to 10BTDC, and then the clamp tightened. Re-install the SPOUT jumper into its socket hanging off the wiring harness leading from the drivers side inner fender to the side of the engine. I think red/hash insulation, but from memory, on the SPOUT jumper.
After setting the base, static 10degree timing, the computer should generally advance the timing as the rpms increase. If you mark the pulley groove with a chunk of drywall 'core'(close to chalk, and all I have), the mark will move up and even over the 'top' of the pulley as the engine revs, returning to 'close' to 10BTDC as you release the throttle and the revs settle down.
tom

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I haven't ran a 2.3L with adjustable timing yet, but I do know that if you are trying to check the spark, pull the SPOUT connector, it's a little jumper that goes to a 2 pin connector somewhere near the coil or distributor, then set your timing... there is a spark stabilizer in the idle circuit that makes the advance crazy at idle, pulling the SPOUT connector stops that...

Dustinicus

Reaction score
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there is a spark stabilizer in the idle circuit that makes the advance crazy at idle, pulling the SPOUT connector stops that...
I wasnt aware, thank you I will check that out

-Dustin

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals