• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Bronco ii Water in Carb

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'll be sure to get that gasket for the water outlet. Does my truck run without a thermostat? or is located where behind the top radiator hose?

Where does this t-stat gasket go?

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
What happens when you run a motor without a thermostat the coolant flows too fast through the radiator, it takes longer to get hot but it just keeps getting hotter as heat does not transfer out of the coolant. The thermostat also restricts coolant flow allowing the heat to transfer out of the coolant. I was changing the water pump every other year and it was allways overheating the 180 degree thermostat will run around 195 out the upper radiator hose

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That large hole in the water pump is what I'm talking about. When I took off the housing to the hole, there was no thermostat inside. I already have a new water pump with all the gaskets and that O ring for the thermostat. I'm just going to put the thermostat there. I'm still confused where the square gasket with the single hole in the middle goes. There's a variety of styles of thermostat gaskets for 84 bronco 2's. The lady at the parts store just happened to choose a square one for me even though I don't need it in my water pump installation.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The other gasket I showed you is the correct one it has the three bolt holes in the offset triangle. You could probably cut that one to fit but the precut ones are cheap.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have that gasket, it came with my water pump. The gasket on the right was sold to me when I requested to buy a thermostat.

So I'm just going to put the thermostat where the gasket on the left goes, even though there was no thermostat there when I opened it up. I'm still confused where the square gasket would go.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Back to the part store if you had to pay for it!

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder why they sell it? It's like a template. And I wonder why my truck didn't have a t-stat.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If your real careful and did not disturb the bypass housing, be real careful putting the bolts in and get the thermostat housing good and snug. do not over tighten the bolts if you do you will be hitting up the bone yards for another housing if you strip the threads.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was really careful not to strip any bolt heads when removing them. I'll be sure not to over tighten them, just until they're snug. All the short water pump bolts came off very easily, almost like they were barely on, but 2 of the 3 long bypass housing bolts were on really tight. I soaked all of them in penetrating oil and cleaned them off really well so they will be ready to go once I put everything back together.

Last edited:

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Where does that go? Is that the housing that upper radiator hose connects to?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals