• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 Full-Width SAS

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic
the front on P205/55R16 and the rear sittin on35's this is as far as i am so far still need to get shocks and a front driv shaft and some bigger tires for the front and i need to put in my fullwidth rear axle

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I'll be watching this one due to it being a Gen 1 and and 83 like mine plus I'm going to be doing this only with a D30 and coils.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Are you planning on running that "wrap around" chevy steering arm?

Looks like the 3/4 ton D44 GM knuckles on a Ford D44. I'm startin to think Dodge ran that style for a few years. Did they?

Either way, if you're gonna run the drag link from the pitman arm to that steering arm you're gonna come across quite a few problems.

For example, reversed steering. When you turn to the left, that arm is going to move backwards and to the left turning the wheels to the right. Unless you plan on using the GM style gear box in which the pitman arm turned forward and backwards, rather then left to right.

The other big problem with that system is it tends to pull the chassis rather then move the tires.

Tons of bump steer.

And you'll actually loose the ability to turn in some off camber situations.

Ask me how I know....

Sky Off Road Design makes a great high steer arm that's thick ass hell, uses 1 ton GM TREs, and uses the factory studs with no need for spacers.

Is the passenger side knuckle a flat top too? You could always have that drilled and tapped for another high steer arm and run traditional cross over.

Or because the dude that owns the only junk yard near you is potentially a dick like mine and won't sell you parts unless he pulls them and charges you out the ass to undo two castle nuts, you could could get creative with another driver side flat top and a double ended arm, and clocking the caliper mounting plate a few bolt holes on the spindle bolts till it's on the same position as the driver side.

Some one might chime in on that one, but that's what I'm up to right now.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
What's your caster angle intended to be?

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic
i had planned on running a highsteer to the pass side but as u can tell i dont have room in my garage to put the truck i half to work on it outdoors and well winter coming so i wanted to get to rolling order so i could move it around. and yea i kno the caster great aint it i got some shims to fix that next time it get warm but im going to pick up a set of 36 for it tomm so i might throw them on the front just to see what it looks like.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know what your axle came out of, but I know the 78-79 solid axle bronco 44s ran 5-7 degrees positive (which is where the top of the C is angled towards the rear of the truck) I've heard a ton of different shit about setting up caster per inch of lift and shit. I set mine at 7 degrees after the lift and the return to center is great, it doesn't lift the truck as I turn, it's fine.

Clear this up for me, is that 8 lug chevy/gm D44 knuckles etc shoved on a Ford driver's side drop housing?

And I have a feeling you're going to want to pull the overload sprigs up front.

Oh, just advice, get your rear lifted and your tire situation figured out before you shim the front to the desired caster. It'll change around as you lift the ass end.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I don't know what your axle came out of, but I know the 78-79 solid axle bronco 44s ran 5-7 degrees positive (which is where the top of the C is angled towards the rear of the truck) I've heard a ton of different shit about setting up caster per inch of lift and shit. I set mine at 7 degrees after the lift and the return to center is great, it doesn't lift the truck as I turn, it's fine.

Clear this up for me, is that 8 lug chevy/gm D44 knuckles etc shoved on a Ford driver's side drop housing?

And I have a feeling you're going to want to pull the overload sprigs up front.

Oh, just advice, get your rear lifted and your tire situation figured out before you shim the front to the desired caster. It'll change around as you lift the ass end.

????? :dunno:

all 1 ton 70's shit is like that along with most 3/4........i dont think i have ever seen factory pre 80s big 3 f/s leafs with crossover steering from the factory. i dont consider the jeeps and scouts f/s.

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic
no that is a ford axle with knuckles. i am plannin on doing the rear before i start with aligment angles but i figure if its close not it wont be off a super lot when im done. but im not just running out and buyin shims now there just things i have layin around the house:icon_welder:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
????? :dunno:

all 1 ton 70's shit is like that along with most 3/4........i dont think i have ever seen factory pre 80s big 3 f/s leafs with crossover steering from the factory. i dont consider the jeeps and scouts f/s.

The 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton D44s that came from GM ran pass. side drop diffs. This is clearly a driver side drop, so assumeably a Ford axle or the tubes were pressed out and swapped. The driver side knuckle is a flat top with the curved high steer arm. It's clearly GM stuff from the ball joint out. Beside from the small bearing spindles that chevy ran, most of the D44 shiz is interchangeable between Ford and Chevy. Dodge didn't match up on a lot. I'll see if I can pull the tech article I found.

Ford only ran flat top knuckles for a select year or two in the late 70s and are a junk yard jewell even though they were weak knuckles.

I've never seen that set up on a stock Ford in all of the trucks I've pulled parts from at the junk yard.

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic
okay just to clear it up the axle i personaly pulled from my grandpal old turck it was a 79 ford f250 3/4 ton its an 8 lug axle and the truck was a ext cab so the alxe was stock when i pulled it out. but i did get my set of 36X14.5 Parnelli Jones so i rolled them up beside the truck just to see what they would look like i think they will look good. but i got my knuckle of right now im doing new ball joints and taping the knuckle for high steer

here the new tires behind the one that were mounted on the truck

Last edited:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
that looks like a stock ford axle to me. 78/79 supercab 150's had leafs and that steering setup, and the 250 used that steering as well. Ive personally owned one.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Those were the ones with the flat tops right?

I've only worked with the rad arm 73-79 1/2 tons and the crossover 3/4 tons.

Didn't those run drums in the front?

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic
yea that the flat top knuckle one i just dropped the knuckle off today to have it tapped and milled down a shade to make it true but that one had dics brake i dont think they did drum on the 79 i know it was either single or dual piston caliper and that one is a dual piston

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton D44s that came from GM ran pass. side drop diffs. This is clearly a driver side drop, so assumeably a Ford axle or the tubes were pressed out and swapped. The driver side knuckle is a flat top with the curved high steer arm. It's clearly GM stuff from the ball joint out. Beside from the small bearing spindles that chevy ran, most of the D44 shiz is interchangeable between Ford and Chevy. Dodge didn't match up on a lot. I'll see if I can pull the tech article I found.

Ford only ran flat top knuckles for a select year or two in the late 70s and are a junk yard jewell even though they were weak knuckles.

I've never seen that set up on a stock Ford in all of the trucks I've pulled parts from at the junk yard.

i have owned a few of these trucks..some hand me down that were bought new.....i think you need to do some more research:dunno:

cause i have no idea why you think those HAVE TO BE GM parts.

sure as hell look ford to me:dunno:.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals