• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 4x4 Steering and Suspension Questions.

Z_Best

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good Evening! I had a couple questions for you folks.

Picked up an '83 2.3, 4x4, Manual, Dual Tank Longbed the other day that needs TLC.

Engine mounts are pretty much gone and my steering coupler bushing is absolutely flogged. I've found a polyurethane transmission mount, but I can't seem to track down a the rag joint bushing (other than the universal ones) or any engine mounts.

Looking on RockAuto, they don't have many options when searching for an '83. If I move up to '85, I can find some regular engine mount replacements in both styles (puck and wedge style) *I believe my truck has the wedge style*. Wasn't sure if some slightly stiffer polyurethane mounts are available for the 2.3 4x4 body or if the V6 mounts are the same mounting wise as they appear to be a solid block of rubber instead of hydraulic filled mounts.

I've looked into replacing the rag joint with a u-joint style steering shaft from a jeep XJ, but I would like to keep the rag joint for a more comfortable drive and have fewer vibrations going into the steering wheel. Has anyone replaced the rag joint with anything made from polyurethane before?

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

387864817_6604242299688711_1474744047143888286_n.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I can tell you, anywhere you replace the factory rubber with polyurethane, the truck will be nosier. I replaced my BII body mounts with the hard plastic style, and while after that it corners like it's on rails, you hear more noise from the road and from the driveline. I suspect if you change the steering joint to a u-joint or to hard plastic, you will hear hydraulic hiss from the steering box up through the steering wheel.

Z_Best

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can tell you, anywhere you replace the factory rubber with polyurethane, the truck will be nosier. I replaced my BII body mounts with the hard plastic style, and while after that it corners like it's on rails, you hear more noise from the road and from the driveline. I suspect if you change the steering joint to a u-joint or to hard plastic, you will hear hydraulic hiss from the steering box up through the steering wheel.
Thankfully, my truck is factory manual steering.

Optioned out to be as Basic as possible with no A/C or really any other creature comforts.

I'm not worried about a little NVH, as my body mounts have already been replaced with what appeares to be polyurethane.

As long as it's not completely solid like my Track setup Civic, I'll be okay.

I just don't want to have to deal with rubber corroding over time again and just want to replace everything with modern materials while keeping some old school functionality.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Interesting description of the steering coupler bushing... "absolutely flogged". I see the PO standing over the coupler calling it names and beating it with a stick.

Z_Best

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you @RobbieD. California Original Truck, very minimal rust, if any that hasn't already been repaired in it's past.

I've taken a look at both, nothing in polyurethane, which isn't a total deal breaker considering the age of the truck. I'm not sure if the 2.0 and the 2.3 are identical engines in terms of mounting, as I'm not too familiar with the Lima Platform. I'm learning as I go!

Looking at Bronco Graveyard and LMC truck, they definitely cater to the 2WD version of the truck and have very limited options for the 4WD. I'm not exactly sure if the mounts are the same, but thinking from a logistical standpoint, It wouldn't make too much sense for ford to make 2 different engine mounts just because there's another axle stuffed in the front of the truck.

Z_Best

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@dvdswan If I could possibly post a video, you'd definitely see what I mean. The young man I got the truck from thought the steering box just needed tightened. He drove the truck in this state for 2 years, and 20k+ miles not knowing that the steering coupler was literally about to fall apart. The rivets are just about the only thing holding the coupler together and they themselves are about to snap.

I test drove the truck like that...🙃

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thank you @RobbieD. It wouldn't make too much sense for ford to make 2 different engine mounts just because there's another axle stuffed in the front of the truck.
You haven't been around Fords too much have you? They do many unexplained things sometimes. Like making the spacing on the rearend leaf spring pads different on a BII than a Ranger pickup. A ranger rearend will not fit a BII, found out the hard way. But I made it fit with a little welding :)

Z_Best

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You haven't been around Fords too much have you? They do many unexplained things sometimes. Like making the spacing on the rearend leaf spring pads different on a BII than a Ranger pickup. A ranger rearend will not fit a BII, found out the hard way. But I made it fit with a little welding :)
You'd be correct in your assumption. My family is primarily Chevy people, and when my folks heard that I traded my 91 Formula Firebird for this Danger Ranger, they damn near had a fit. But I didn't have the time nor the patience to restore a car. I moved onto playing with bikes and the car just sat.

I know Ford circled the problem when it came out of the factory, but I'm mechanically inclined enough to fabricate/weld/diagnose most things. I was honestly looking for a B-Series truck as I'm a senior Mazda Tech, but this ranger just kinda fell into my hands. So it'll be a nice change for me for my first truck.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Looking at Bronco Graveyard and LMC truck, they definitely cater to the 2WD version of the truck and have very limited options for the 4WD. I'm not exactly sure if the mounts are the same, but thinking from a logistical standpoint, It wouldn't make too much sense for ford to make 2 different engine mounts just because there's another axle stuffed in the front of the truck.
That's a nice clean truck for being 40 years old.

My experience (at least with '90s & '00s models) is that there hasn't been much variation between 2WD & 4x4 Rangers outside of obvious items like front axle & hub parts, steering linkage (tie rods, pitman arm), etc. Things like steering gears, rag joints, engine, trans, and body mounts and nearly all body parts are the same (excepting for fender flares used on some 4x4s). Even the rear axle & leaf springs are the same for 2WD & 4x4, though the gear ratios could be different.

Hope that helps. And if you're still not sure of something, just ask and someone here will gladly help!

Z_Best

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's a nice clean truck for being 40 years old.

My experience (at least with '90s & '00s models) is that there hasn't been much variation between 2WD & 4x4 Rangers outside of obvious items like front axle & hub parts, steering linkage (tie rods, pitman arm), etc. Things like steering gears, rag joints, engine, trans, and body mounts and nearly all body parts are the same (excepting for fender flares used on some 4x4s). Even the rear axle & leaf springs are the same for 2WD & 4x4, though the gear ratios could be different.

Hope that helps. And if you're still not sure of something, just ask and someone here will gladly help!
Thanks! The truck has "good bones" for a neat little project. I'll attach some more photos for y'all.

Truck came with a rebuilt TK-5 to swap from the TK-4 as well as another set of wheels and a box full of efi stuff and a power steering setup.

Window channel rust has been repaired and the frame is pretty solid. Optioned out to be a dual tank truck, but the rear tank has been removed and the rear filler door has been shaved. The switch in the dash still works though. So I'm going to attempt at adding the rear tank again using a fuel cell and a trapdoor in the bed floor.

I appreciate your insight on the engine mounts and hopefully I'll get them ordered soon so that I can finally drive this thing. Still working out why I don't have reverse lights, or interior lights, but I'll figure it out one of these weeks.

Replaced the rag joint this evening after work and it definitely feels much more solid.
PXL_20231014_013530286.MP.jpg
PXL_20231014_013455420.MP.jpg
PXL_20231014_013533837.MP.jpg
PXL_20231014_013521689.MP.jpg
PXL_20231014_013405017.MP.jpg
PXL_20231014_013423992.MP.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have been looking to change my BII to manual steering, to clean it up under the hood. From my research;

Your year truck is one of the rare ones that is 4x4 and has manual steering. You could only get it the first couple of years on 4x4's, and there is something different about the steering box, haven't figure out what though. All the other manual boxes seem to be under 2wd 4 cyl models.

All the steering boxes, manual and power bolt up the same. But the manual steering boxes use a different pitman arm and there possibly may be a difference in the rag joint area you just messed with.

All the above to say, you may need some parts you do not have if you want to change to power steering.

Z_Best

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not 100% sure to be honest. Looking at my old rag joint, it doesn't look like any of the other ones I've seen in write-ups.

Mine was just a flat disc and didn't have any spacing.

My steering shaft also had a u-joint at the top and a rag joint at the bottom.
PXL_20231023_215904493.MP.jpg
PXL_20231023_215855188.MP.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals